Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me make circuit that shows mobile phone signal strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronald

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Mobile polling

Hi,

I want to make a circuit that tells me what is the signal strength that a mobile is receiving, but the mobile will be placed at another location no near a pc (stand alone).

ie. I want to know the signal strength that the mobile is receiving from a remotely place. I thinked about something of sending an sms with a mobile to this mobile placed at another place and sends me back the signal strength that is receiving.

Re: Mobile polling

You have to read your AT command manual for your gsm module you intend to use. It should list the available commands for reporting signal quality...on Siemens MC45 for example it is AT+CSQ...

Yes I know but the mobile will not be connected to a pc. it will be placed in a place where i think i have some signal problems. I want to make some circuit that includes a microcontroller that sends a command to the mobile in this case an at+csq to retrieve the signal strength then it stores in it then it tell the mobile to send this information through an sms.

it is possible ?

ronald,

if you are using a Siemens mobile phone you can search my posts and will find how to send and receive SMS using this phone and an 8051 or PIC.

best regards

i need a circuit that i just program a pic and at a predefined time it retrieves the signal strength from the mobile and sends it via sms all alone !!!!

Are you able to write software in C for a PIC?

If you can not do it, I can not help you because this will need a lot of time which i do not have ...

best regards

i will try just help me how much you can, is there any circuits that do this job ?

The only circuit you need is a microcontroller (with all the components it needs to run (cristal, capacitors, power, ...)
Connect the uart to the GSM and write software to receive SMS, get Signal Strength and send SMS (all using AT commands)

Antharax

Antharax can you give me some scehmatics of the circuit to make the setup you told me ? you know of any source code to do the job or i have to write it ?

thanks

Mobile polling

hmm. dunno
i use wintesla and phoenix for nokia phones but they have to be connected by f-mbus or f-bus to the pc

Hi guys,

I made a little thing called "GSM Kontroler", it receives SMS, turns a device (1..6) on or off depending on the SMS, and then returnes an SMS "Turned ON" or "Turned OFF" :)

All that in MPASM for PIC16F84A, for Siemens phones (S25 in my case) with AT commands, serial communication on 19200 bauds.

Did anyone try doing this or sending a simple AT commands to Nokia phones over MBUS or FBUS... I don't know which one.. ???

Trax

As you still seem to have no idea how to do it I will again try to help you.

Look here:
**broken link removed**

under Sms Control.

But again, this is no ready made solution but just an idea how to do it ...

best regards

Can anyone help me with this project ?

Status
Not open for further replies.