Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me make an auto counter in Vhdl

Status
Not open for further replies.

BooM

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi ,

I am newbie in vhdl and i want help plz.

I have to do an auto counter.
more specific : when I press a button then a display (which i have placed for output ) get starts count 0 to 9. Is it possible to give an example??

I am working on a spartan-3e.

Thank you in advance!

Re: HELP in Vhdl

If you have to do a counter for a project then you must have a book on VHDL. There is an example of a counter in that book and if by some exceptionally small chance there is not a counter example you need to throw that book away.

After you locate the counter example in your textbook then all you need to do is place a condition in your process that will activate your counter.

E

Hope this will help you...but you have to learn vhdl first...thenonly you can write ode that suits you...

LIBRARY ieee;
USE ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
USE ieee.std_logic_arith.all;
use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all;

ENTITY counter IS
port (clk,re : in std_logic;
q : out std_logic_vector( 3 downto 0););
END ENTITY counter;

ARCHITECTURE ars OF counter IS
signal s_q : std_logic_vector( 3 downto 0) ;
BEGIN
process(clk,s_q)
begin

if rising_edge(clk) then
s_q <=s_q + "0001";
end if;
q<=s_q;

end process;

END ARCHITECTURE ars;

hi lordsathish,

thank you for your help!!!
I caught the "(3 down to 0)" :D !
Can you tell me plz where is the different between "if clk=1 and clk'event=1 then..." with "if rising_edge(clk) then.."?

Thank you again!

Can you tell me plz where is the different between "if clk=1 and clk'event=1 then..." with "if rising_edge(clk) then.."?
There is absolutely no difference between the two, you may use any of these ae per your taste ;)
Kr,
Avi
http://www.vlsiip.com

Thank you avimit !!!!

Have a look on xilinx ISE into the docs directory about "HDL coding techniques"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor