Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me improve a WiFi dish range

Status
Not open for further replies.

The74namesofgod

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
wifi dish

ok i made a wifi dish it works ok i can get 1500-2000 kbs at 1000 feet or more but i want to inprove. the wireless card has 2 little antenner and there just two wires one on each side dose anyone think i can hook to the screw thing on the metal cone thing sorrie about the description

18_1212726529.jpg

[/img]

Re: wifi dish

A reflector (dish) gives you gain in one direction. The dish is used for satcom, probably 10-12 GHz. You will be using it at 2.4 GHz. In order to realize the same gain as the satellite receiver, you should have a bigger reflector. But anyhow you will gave some gain.

Next thing is that the aligment of the source (the antenna in your case, the horn for satcom) is critical. If it is not in the exact spot it needs to be, you lobe will go in another direction. And that is a pretty big problem because your lobewidth is rather small. This effect is used by so called offset LNBs, which look at different satellites with one reflector. In your case the different antennas will have a beam in different directions. So there goes your MIMO ...

I assume you're trying to make a point to point link? Drop the idea of using two antennas, use a single one and maximize the output power of your WLAN front-end (there are some software tricks to do that) and then you will reach maximum distance. Or buy a bigger dish, it will even help much more.

thanks for you input i just got a bigger dish not much bigger but i have 2 of them i am going to use both of them together. i am going to set them 140 deg from one to the other, and put the wireless card in the middle 15 in from the center of each dish this first dish made a big differents and i am going to make 4 x the dish with the dobble dish.

wifi dish

Could you post some pictures ? Sound interesting.

What you describe doesnt sound like a dual reflector.

Seems to me like its 2 reflector pointing in different direction but cross each other at a point which cuts through the wireless card.

no its 2 dishes pointing the same the 140 deg just worked out to be the best. i am testing one dish with the wireless card 110 deg and 15 in from the dish its not working so good i think it works better 90 deg i lost 500 kbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back