Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me design controller for 3 axis CNC machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

worksmart

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have got a project to design a controller for 3 axis CNC machine. My job is to identify and integrate servomotors, controllers and HMI for this machine. Mechanical part will take care somebody else.

specifications of this machine are.

Motors: AC servo
Max. speed: 1200RPM
Torque: 6NM

Controller G-code programmable.

Axis span: Y - 3meters
X - 6meters
Z - 1meters

Actually I am new to this filed. And have no Idea how to start. Can anybody guide me to start this project.

Thanks and regards
WorkSmart

Re: CNC Machine

Hello
There are two type of options one you go for PC based control or 2nd you make or use embedded controller.

I think the idea of using PC based controller for your CNC machine will be more suitable and for this you can use Mach3 software(i.e www.artofcnc.com). Beside controller you will need to have motor drives. These normally available in market in different configuration depending upon your motor type or configuration. If you want to make your own motor dirves too then it may be a lengthy and difficult procedure but not imposible.

If you ready to use the readymade Servo Motor drive then all you need to find a compatible drive with your pc output(i.e Mach3 software output) and the Servo motor you mentioned. All other aspects(GCODE etc) will be easilly handle by the software itself.

Bye...
:D

worksmart

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Hi dani,

Thank you for your fast replay.
Kindly clarify this points. Is this PC based option will be OK for an industrial environment ? Also, if it had to process three axis's simultaneously, will it be OK to use Windows like OS ? Please comment.

Thanks and regards

Hello

Absoloutly, This retrofit controller is able to control multiaxes at a time and meant to be used in industrial environement. For details you can go to their site. www.artofcnc.com

bye/../

CNC Machine

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. But I would like to know an alternative option for this. My spec. includes AC servo and speed is 1200RPM.

Motors: AC servo
Max. speed: 1200RPM
Torque: 6NM
Resolution:0.1mm

Thanks
Worksmart

Have a look at https://linuxcnc.org/
EMC2 motion control running under RealTime Linux.
A lot of your work has been done and alll you have to do is ask questions.
The folks are glad to help get started and fine tune systems. Many of them use
servos (I'm still in steppers) and there is a LOT of info.
It was originally developed at NIST and is now completely Open Source.
The configurability<sp?> is staggering!

Status
Not open for further replies.