Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me design an opamp for the output of DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vabzter

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I have the following specs and I want to design an opamp. The application is that it should be connected at output of DAC and amplify from 1.2(full scale o/p of DAC) to 1.75 V. So will connect it in non inverting configuration..

Vcc=1.8V
Vout=1.75V
Cl = 35pF, Rl = 5Kohms
Idc <60uA
BW=200KHz.
SR is not fixed but can be a very slow Opamp.
I have designed a simple 2 stage Opamp but not getting the full output swing. Should I go for a cascode with class AB ouput?
Any sugestions/pointers with this design..
Thanks
Vabzter

Opamp Design Help..

if the supply is 1.8v, i think cascode can't support 1.75v output.

Re: Opamp Design Help..

To get the maximum output swing, try to keep only Vds sat. 50mV will be hard to get....
Try a class AB, or an Rail to Rail output stage and choose W/L in order to have a low Vds sat.

A two stage opamp could match but you couldn't cascode.

Cascode can't help you to achieve better output swing .Class AB can do the job I believe but will suffer from larger non-linearity .You can also try differential pair amplifiers .By differential amplifiers you can get double your original swing specially if you can get a differential input signal .If your input signal is single ended, I think that you still can get double the swing on the cost of half your gain .

Hi
Thanks for all the replies..What what I undustood I can have a simple 2 stage with Class AB as an output stage. Is this correct?
Also can someone post some links/papers for class AB CMOS design..That would be very helpful tome.
Thanks
Vabzter

Vabzter said:
Hi
Thanks for all the replies..What what I undustood I can have a simple 2 stage with Class AB as an output stage. Is this correct?
Also can someone post some links/papers for class AB CMOS design..That would be very helpful tome.
Thanks
Vabzter

Hi,

I think the cascode structure is not suitable for you, You can take this paper for your information.

Vabzter said:
Hi all,
I have the following specs and I want to design an opamp. The application is that it should be connected at output of DAC and amplify from 1.2(full scale o/p of DAC) to 1.75 V. So will connect it in non inverting configuration..
You mean the output swing of the op amp is from 1.2V to 1.75 V?

isaacnewton said:
Vabzter said:
Hi all,
You mean the output swing of the op amp is from 1.2V to 1.75 V?
Hi,
No what I meant was that the input to opamp is 0 to 1.2V and the output of opmap should be 0 to 1.75V. The opamp is directly connected after DAC whose full scale output is 1.2V.
Thanks
Vabzter

You can also refer to IEEE papers ,such as
B. Sekerkiran, “A Compact Rail-to-Rail Output
Stage for CMOS Operational Amplifiers”, IEEE Journal
of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 34, pp. 107-110, 1999.

I think for that low voltsges and to get full rail to rail swing its better to go for folded cascode NMS-PmOS differential amplifier

Definitely a class AB amplifier is required in your design!

Added after 2 minutes:

You can read philip allen's book and select one easy op-amp structure!

Status
Not open for further replies.