Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me design a simple car park system that shows number of taken and free spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

egxlover

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Guys
Iam A newbie in microcontrollers (which means i know very very little about it)
we have a project to build a simple garage inlet system .. all required is a seven segment display of the number of cars inside the garage and another for the number of free spaces .. we are free to use any microcontroller chip we want .and we can use push switches as a sim for the gate sensors .. the project is due in 20 days and iam kinda freakin out cuz i have no clue what to do .. can anyone please be kind and get me started .. iam desperate here!
thanks in advance

Re: A Newbie Needs Help

please check these links may be they are useful for you
h**p://www.missouri.edu/~sbsnqf/documents/Report.pdf
h**p://www.dominator.co.nz/htmlpages/gate.php?product_id=15&page=false
I cant provide you with a complete schematic for your project cos this is kinda cheating.
for the microcontroller may be you have to use any kind of PLC for that to make it easy for you

egxlover

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thank You For Your Reply
I Dont Need To Use sensors at my project as they allowed us to simulate sensor pulses with push buttons , and the 1st link you supplied is a much bigger project than mine , all i need is this :
2 seven segments display one of the cars inside and one of the free spaces , in short .. all i need is a ciruit that decrements a seven segment display and increments another one each time i push a button so that the 2 numbers displayed are always of the same sum , and the process is reversable (for the exit gate sensor button).
i aint trying to cheat i just want someone who knows this stuff to tell me what to do and how to make it work and i will work hard in it , besides it wouldnt hurt if i found a simmilar project so that i can learn from it , i have very little time to deliver and i also have finals in less than a month.
much thanks

Added after 17 minutes:

PS : I Dont Think They Would Allow PLC , Only MP or MC

Added after 1 hours 50 minutes:

Okay .. I Have Layed Some Outlines But I Need Help
I Am Gonna Use At89c51 As The Core , The Inputs Will Be Two push buttons one for car in and one for car out , the output is timer 0 for car in 7 segment display and the other display will use a logic circuit to fucnction (out=sum-in)
now i need help writing the c and assembly code for the at89c51 , and for implementing the circuit .
can anyone please give me a ahand here

Hi

You ca download proteus VSM , it's a simulation tool .
It has some examples using PIC or 8051 for reading from switches and driving LCD (Schematic + source code).

Select an example and study it.

Then you can modify it to make your project

www.labcenter.co.uk

Salam
Hossam Alzomor

A Newbie Needs Help

All I Found There Was Shareware Package Called Proteus Lite , Is It The One ? Cuz The Others Are Pay Software

If you were to use a Microchip PIC microcontroller, then the tools are free from their website. You could use the very popular PIC16F84.

It seems to me you have a very good idea about what you need to do: one switch increments one display and decrements the other, while the second switch does the opposite.
So basically you just need to connect the displays and the switches to the micro.

Look at appnotes AN557, AN615 and AN590. www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1490&filterID=417

They show examples of how to connect the 7-segment LEDs and the switches. Plus much the code given should be usable by you. After all, you only change what you display and what the switches do, but the part that drives the LEDs and reads the switches can be reused.

egxlover

Thank You Very Much , You have made my day
Apps 529 and 590 are very near to my project , but since i know nothing about PIC assembly and pins , i need your help on how to exclude the real time clock part and make it just as simple as my design .

I have tried loaking at the code and excluding the parts with comments on it , but i couldnt manage it .

Can you please complete the favour and take me through this ?

thanks in advance .

Hi
yes there's two versions proteus lite and demo both are free

I think lite is the siutable one

Salam
Hossam Alzomor

A Newbie Needs Help

I Have downloaded it but it would take ages to understand the samples for a newbie like myself
the pic apps are more simple but i need help from VVV or anyone who knows about PIC to modify them .

A Newbie Needs Help

yeah thanx for the links :)

salam to 3arabs!

Hi egxlover

I will look into that.
If you are going to go this route, start building the hardware now. We will get the S/W going one way or another.

We can make the H/W simpler than that that in AN590, since you do not need the decimal points. That way we can use two pins just for the switches, making life much easier. Let me know, I can send you a schematic.
By the way, what kind of displays do you have, Common Anode or common cathode?

Make sure you use a socket for the PIC, you will probably have to program it several times.
You could use in-circuit programming, if you wish. Let me know, I can suggest a header.

Regards,
VVV

egxlover

Thanks Very Much For Getting In This With Me VVV
I Did Not Buy The Hardare Parts Yet ... So Iam Free To Buy Any Thing
Could You Send Me The Schematic , And Tell Me What Parts Should I Get ?
As For Programming In Circuit , I Do Not Know If That Would Be Possible , It Depends On The Cost Of That And How Complicated Can It Be To Implement , I Thought I Would Jst Use The Pic Programmer we Have In Lab Once And Thats It ?
Let Me Know What You Think
And Much Thanls Again For Caring Enough To Help

Well, then buy the common anode displays, they are more common.

The in-circuit programming does not cost much, just a few pins and maybe a couple of resistors and jumper links, about $1 altogether. But you need an adapter from your programmer. Just use a socket for your PIC. You may need to program it more than once.

I will PM you with the schematic.

Regards,
VVV

egxlover

A Newbie Needs Help

How Do I Need An Adapter From The Programmer , Explain Please >
PS:I Do Not HAVE A Programmer , The College Lab Does :)
Much Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.