Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me design a GPS system for a car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iftakhar Qureshi

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
GPS system

javascript:emoticon('8O')
javascript:emoticon('8O')

Can someone with practical knowledge of GPS navigation system give me the experienced advice or point me in the right direction to design a GPS system for my car use.

Thanks

Re: GPS system

I am a GPS Rx designer. You can post your specific questions.

I've one question: do u have a table of the satellites "on view" vs Latitude and Longitude?

Regards
Lupin

Hi,
There are in most receivers a GSV message that is transmitted that contains this information. Also there are few websites that computes this "Visibility" and provides the required information, depending on the users location and time.
These are fairly accurate
BRM

Hi,
If you want to design a gps navigation system, I suggest to use u-blox components ( ***.u-blox.com ) or conexant (jupiter receivers) , they are affordable and easy to use. This is for the gps signal aquiring and processing. For the navigation and display you will have to use some kind of 16bit processor, something like ARM if you want to build an embedded system. However, you will need maps for navigation. How do you plan to solve this problems, because such maps are not easy to work with, especially in a embedded system, and certainly they are not for free? If you preffer an easier sollution, then you will need a simple gps receiver with nmea output, which plugs into the serial port of a laptop. Then, something like Autor0ute Express or Route66 will solve your problem.

Best,

Can u give me the name of the web sites u were mentiong?

Thanks for your collaboration
Lupin

Lupin,
ublox gps receivers at www.u-blox.com, for jupiter receivers I do not have the address, try search in google for jupiter gps receivers.

I'm essentially interested in the computation of the "on sight satellites" vs Latitude, Longitude, Time and so on.. in the site I didn't find something about it.. can u help me?

Regards
Lupin

Lupin,
I do not fully understand what do you want to accomplish. Do you want to build yourself a GPS receiver similar with the modules available on the market, or do you want to use such a commercial module for a navigation sollution? Regarding the coordinates for visible sattelites, this information is available in both NMEA and proprietary u-blox protocol used in u-blox modules/receivers.
Best,

Attached is a good book and reference on how the GPS system works.

Hi,
Do check the us coast guards and chinalake websites for the information on satellites in view.
To do on your own,
1) Take tha almanac file in YUMA format.
2) Use the software from either Kai Borre/ Strang or Kaplan book to compute.

If you cannot ind I may be able to send you the same from the Book.

BRM

Hi,
I'm quite new in this topic.. so please can u give me some website address?

Where can I find the Almanac Yuma file?
Can u send me (part of) the book u mentioned?Maybe u can spend a few words about the software.

Thanks for your support.
If u have some questions falling into my experience areas, please ask.
Lupin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back