Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me connect a zener diode on the power supply pin of adc mcp3202

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicky29

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
i want to connect a zener diode on the power supply pin of adc mcp3202. can anybody plz help me out for how to connet it. i am supplying 5 volts to adc.
do i need some resistance in series with diode or wht...plz help me out.

Re: zener on adc

Hi vicky29

I presume that you wish to connect the zener to provide a supply/reference voltage to pin 8 Vdd/Vref. Do not bother!

In my experience zeners have poor stability, high noise, a significant output slope and the first component to suspect when things go wrong.

As the MCP3202 only requires 550µA @ 5v, I would suggest you use a 3pin voltage reference IC to supply the device eg. MCP1542 or similar.

You will get better results with less effort.

hope this helps ...Polymath

instead of using a zener try LM336-2.5 for 2.5 volt reference and LM336-5 for 5 volts reference. it is more stable than an ordinary zener.

Hey guys,

can I ask a question, I am using the new Ti instrument CC2430, based on the 8051 MCU.
I want to do the same, i mean put an external voltage reference on pin 7, the thing is that it has an internal resistance of zero!
every time I connect the voltage source, it shorts out!!
what should I do ?

Hey guys,

can I ask a question, I am using the new Ti instrument CC2430, based on the 8051 MCU.
I want to do the same, i mean put an external voltage reference on pin 7, the thing is that it has an internal resistance of zero!
every time I connect the voltage source, it shorts out!!
what should I do ?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Dear Azaz ,

I went through the datasheet of the IC . Pin Number 7 is the DVdd it specifies ,
And It would never be internal resistance of zero .
Please verify the correct pin number you fed the input and get back.

Regards,

S.Vigneshwaran.,
Spectrum Electra Technologies,
Chennai - 92.

zener on adc

zeners wouldn't be a good choice for voltage reference here. they can swing materially to render a 8-bit or 10-bit adc useless.

I would use a bandgap or a high precision voltage reference chip if you are working on a 10-bit or higher adc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back