Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me choose a PCB Layer stack up

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennythomas

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The layer stack up (4 layers) is as below
TOP LAYER
CORE
GND PLANE
PREPREG
POWER PLANE
CORE
BOTTOM LAYER.

The other layer stack up (4 layers) is as below

TOP LAYER
PREPREG
GND PLANE
CORE
POWER PLANE
PREPREG
BOTTOM LAYER.

How to choose one of the them for PCB design?

PCB Layer stack up

It depends. If you have some transmission lines then you might want a ground plane close to the top layer to minimise track widths for a given impedance. prepreg is usually thinner than core, so you would choose the second option.

Keith.

PCB Layer stack up

it depends on which layer you are planning your critical nets

PCB Layer stack up

Second layer stack up is good in my opinion if you have any impedance controlled lines than put your ground layer close to that layer (either of top or bottom)

Re: PCB Layer stack up

The two stack up only differs on its build core or prepreg build. If your concern is impedance controlled lines. the two stack up will have the same result on line width.
But i read somewhere that core build for four layer have better PCB strength (Core in the middle) but i'm not sure if this is true. Anyway you can choose any of the two because this two type are both common but core in the middle is more common for four layer. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back