Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me build Frequency Doubler (110vac 60Hz - 110vac 120Hz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbest80

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
120v frequency doubler 120hz

I need to build a frequency doubler to take 110vac 60hz to 110vac 120hz or close with in reason the number of hz doesn't have to be exact any idea's would be very helpful I am a little over my head on this project so and good detail's that you can provided me would also be very helpful

Thanks

Re: frequency doubler

I gues you need some power too...
Maybe an AC/DC/AC converter ?
Use a DC voltage from your 120Vac/60Hz to supply an 120Hz square oscillator, folowed by a step-up transformer to 120V and a resonant LC filter.

google AC-AC converter
another way is to AC-DC-AC converter using a Rectifier followed by PWM or VSI. Of course then you would need FET driver logic and filter to clean up the output AC.

Most Power EE book should help clarify this sorts of question

frequency doubler

narfnarf has a professional solution.
Only for educational pourpouses:
you could use a rectifier, to obtain a rectified sinus at 120Hz, then use a high voltage capacitor to decouple the contnuous component. Now you have a... wave that remember a sinusiod at 120hz. If you want you could also rise the voltage up by a transformer.
Be careful! I repeat: only for (dis)educational purpouses..

i would suggest diodes but you have to choose w/c one would you prefer.

the ordinary fast switching diode would do, also a fast recovery junction diode & ultra fast, likewise a schotty barrier or a varactor.

but for me the best choice would be the schotty barrier due to its low flicker noise in addition to its low barrier potential.

for ultra fast switching speed i can recommend the FD700. it switches at 0.7ns and a junction capacity of 1pf, it can handle up to 250ma with a reverse voltage of 30v.

for fullwave rectification, a varactor will do it for you becoz it has a high conversion efficiency and has an odd harmonics rejection. and finally filtering is easy.

Here is the pdf for frequency doubler

You can also use a nonlinear device such as diode and a filter at 2*f.

Status
Not open for further replies.