Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me build an ASYNC ALU

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_phoenix

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys.....after some hectic work....i'm back at my own work.

I need to work on a project for my final graduation .After long thought and discussions, i have come to the conclusion tht i can work on a project in the field of "ASYNCHRONOUS CLOCKLESS UNITS"......basically, i wud like to work for optimising such combinational circuits using vhdl for say hazards or other probs with asyn ckts.

Now, since my knwoledge and reading in this filed is pretty limited, i need u guys to suggest ways to proceed in 1)designing a good enough ASYNC system
2) optimising it (with vhdl)

i got the suggesion of going in for an async alu where the units work using handshake signals. while i understand what i need to do, i have absolutely no idea as to how to 1) build an asyn alu 2)use HS signals.
any pointers in this regards will be greatly appreciated. even onlline stuff is welcome.

I know this is a lot to ask for, but if u can plz contribute whtever u can, beleive me, it's priceless !!!

thx....cheers

Re: clockless!!!!!!!!!!

the_phoenix said:
hi guys.....after some hectic work....i'm back at my own work.

I need to work on a project for my final graduation .After long thought and discussions, i have come to the conclusion tht i can work on a project in the field of "ASYNCHRONOUS CLOCKLESS UNITS"......basically, i wud like to work for optimising such combinational circuits using vhdl for say hazards or other probs with asyn ckts.

Now, since my knwoledge and reading in this filed is pretty limited, i need u guys to suggest ways to proceed in 1)designing a good enough ASYNC system
2) optimising it (with vhdl)

i got the suggesion of going in for an async alu where the units work using handshake signals. while i understand what i need to do, i have absolutely no idea as to how to 1) build an asyn alu 2)use HS signals.
any pointers in this regards will be greatly appreciated. even onlline stuff is welcome.

I know this is a lot to ask for, but if u can plz contribute whtever u can, beleive me, it's priceless !!!

thx....cheers

Ouch! Why do you want to torture yourself like that? FPGA is NOT designed to do async
circuits.

Now, that is not to say it is impossible. I've seen some pretty impressive thing others
have done. Such as a CPU, which has an ALU inside of course. Here is the link

**broken link removed**

You can go to their web site and take a look

https://www.ics.forth.gr/carv/async/

I used to have a detail paper about the theory behind do async in an FPGA but I don't
think I can find it now.

Good luck,

Gunship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back