Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me build a circuit to interface USB to IDE HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrrrr12345

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I would like to build a circuit that interfaces between the IDE cable from HDD, and USB cable from PC, so that as a result, my PC would recognise the HDD when my circuit is turned on, and I will be able to read from and write on to my IDE HDD, using the drag and drop, standard file transfer in windows.

Basically, I want to build what they call an "enclosure".

Can someone give me any clues to start on this project? What do I need to know before design the circuit, and what tools should I be using to design it? Are there existing tutorials/help on this one?

Your help will be appreciated,
R

program ide hdd to usb

A lot of Hard Disk Box on market. Only one IC used, what I see is a dual-line pin package from Cypress.

ide hdd schematics

ya, a lot of it is out there in market, but I think the circuit isn't too hard too understand right? I wanna know how to start building a circuit like this one... or what do I need to know to achieve it...

even if it is too difficult for me, I wish someone can tell me why... it's for learning purpose only

circuit hdd ide to usb

Well, it really depends on how much work you want to put into it.

As spikeyang mentioned, the most common way to implementing this is to use a cypress chip or something like it. They have a chip series called EZ USB AT2LP which is a fixed function IC device... you just have to plop it down on a PCB that has IDE and USB connectors, provide power and you are good to go. You don't even have to program the chip if you don't want to.
https://www.cypress.com/portal/serv...=9&fid=14&category=EZ-USB+AT2LP&showall=false

If you want to make your own, I guess you can take a more generic USB micro-controller and write the codes to interface to IDE. Or, you can take a FPGA that has a serial interface and program it yourself.

Check out: **broken link removed**
and :
https://www.epanorama.net/links/pc_storage.html#ide
for an idea of what's involved. Not really trivial.

rrrrr12345

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
ide hdd circuit

I want to build my own circuit, because buying and programing an existing chip with right connections already doesn't seem challenging.

However, I'll take some time to digest your comments and web-sites. In the mean while, I would like to say Thank you for your advice, it's just what I'm looking for. At least I can look into different ways tackling the project, may be I'll start off with buying that cypress chip for a start, I don't know yet, I'll be back. Thanks again for your kind contribution.

ide hdd projects

Take a look at microchip's application note on mass storage devices:

h**p://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1824&appnote=en024394

They implemented an sd card reader using a PIC18F4550. Based on this appnote and the ATA specifications you can build yourself a nice usb connected hdd. For the hdd connection you'll find plenty of schematics and even code. If the implementation is correct, you don't even have to worry about the file system, it will be done by the OS that will format the drive.

You can find additional info here:
h**p://www.lvr.com/mass_storage.htm
h**p://atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/ATA_HardDrive.pdf
h**p://www.pjrc.com/

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back