Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me balance an inverted pendulum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becky

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am using a ccd camera to sense the error tilt of the pendulum and the position of cart.But i now facing difficulty balancing the pendulum.maybe the dc motor i using is not fast enough.the pendulum tend to fall faster than the cart.what do you think?any idea?
:cry:

inverted pendulum

You can use an encoder instead of camera. I think dc motor is good idea.

Re: inverted pendulum

an encoder is a good alternative. plus, adding a feedback control circuitry/algorithm such as a PI or PID controller to compensate.

inverted pendulum

There should be some pendulum angle (no matter how small) which the cart can correct for. Hold the pentulum an some angle and put full voltage on the motor while releasing the pendulum to get an idea of what this angle is.
Then the question is how small an error angle can you detect and how fast can you compensate for it.
DC motors can be very nonlinear, especially at lower RPM, there is a non-zero voltage required to overcome friction and movement can be very rough at low speeds.
If the motor has a gear train, looseness in the gears can introduce a potentially unstablizing hysteresis, an appreciable time delay in reversing direction.

Re: inverted pendulum

pendulum

Status
Not open for further replies.