Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help me about power amplifier!

Status
Not open for further replies.

qiuyangdvb

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to use a eudyna power transistor,
but there is no big signal load /source impedance ,
only s parameters in the datasheet,can I use it to match?
I think S parameter is small signal.
what shall I do?
thank you!

S-parameters for power transistors are given for an operation point of a typical application. This is the case e. g. with Polyfet data. So, if the operation point in the data sheet is similar to your application, regarding both DC bias and transmitted power, you can use it to design impedance matching.

but the S-parameters are given only for the DC bias point .
there is no output power ,
can I use it?

Using S-parameters of the transistor, it is only possible so simulate small signal/linear behaviour of the amplifier. For example linear gain. To simulate non-linear properties, such as RF output power, 1 dB compression point, OIP3, etc a non-linear (SPICE) model of the transistor is required in the simulations.

Contact the transistor manufacturer for availability of a SPICE model of the transistor. In most cases it's available upon request, even if it's not presented in the data sheet or on the web.

First of all you can ask Eudyna to supply you with more data for the transistor you have chosen. For some of their transistors they have load-pull impedances data and if you are insistent enough and if they decide that you’re important for them they can provide you with more data.
I have some of their transistor load-pull data and I can send it to you. Which transistor you have in mind? Ivan.boshnakov@axellwireless.com
On the other hand if your design will be at the same bias point (or close) you can use S-parameters as a starting point to design power amplifiers. You need to use the Cripps load-line approach. There are a couple of books from him. Basically you fit a linear model of the transistor to the S-parameters. Then using the limits of the voltages and currents of the transistor you can extract the intrinsic optimum load-line and the corresponding impedance for the maximum P1dB and even the load-pull contours. The best way to do this is to use a software program called MultiMatch. There is an article that explains how this software will help you to design power amplifiers using only S-parameters. **broken link removed**

Usually input matching would be based on small signal only.

Too ivanrb

A minor interruption :)

How much is a single licens for MultiMatch?

Regards

You should go to www.ampsa.com, get the contact info from there and ask for quotation. There are a lot of variations and options. But let's say about $20000 for full capabilities. If you design amplifiers regularly you’ll not regret having the software.

Hi ivanbr,

I'm developing a 2-2.7 GHz Power Amplifier of 30 or more dB of gain by using Eudyna devices such as: FLL357ME and FLL810IQ-3C. I'have read that you have Source/Load pull data of some eudyna devices, could you send them to me? ag001(at)inwind.it

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back