Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help LNA single to differential conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mostafa_maarouf

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am designing an RF front end for WCDMA and i designed the LNA but it is single ended to match with the off chip duplexer. Now i am desiging the mixer and it will be differential (Gilbert cell) so i need to convert from single ended to differential.
I thought of building the LNA as differential and use a balun at the start but this will add loss which will build up the noise figure directly..
so i thought that i can make two branches of amplifier (one +ve gain (C-G) and the other is -ve gain (CS)) ) and sense the output differentially which will make the required conversion.
this method is present in a paper in JSSC by rahem Bagheri. but he was implementing a wide band LNA so the C-G worked with him but i need it to be narrow band , will it work with me. ?
Help me with any data i will be appreciating..

Also if there is a simpler method to convert from single ended to differential in mixer or in any place , plz tell me

Best Regrads,
Mostafa El khouly

Dear Mostafa

in current implemtations , usually there is a SAW filter after the LNA , which is off chip this SAW filter handel the conversion and then after it u just add a matching circuit for the input of the mixer

this will not add noise to the LNA .

the meathod ur talking about is great , but it need alot of tweaking , for gain and phase balance between the 2 paths

the third way , use on chip transformer which will add alot of chip area but u need to optimize this tranformer

wish this help u

Khouly

Dear Mostafa,

If the differential side of the LNA or the mixer can have
access in single ended mode you can convert the
measurements to differential using the following
paper I wrote once for me as a reminder which is
part of an AN from ANRITSU:
71_1197595507.gif

Dear Khouly,
thanks alot for ur replies..
The SAW filter u r talking about is for image rejection in the super het Rx while i'm designing a ZIF Rx which needs no image rejection nearl at all which is one of the great advantages of theZIF Rx.

Thanks again for your help

i am talking about Zero IF archetecture , it is for band selection ,

i have used Qulacomm Chip set for CDMA2000 and WCDA they are ZIF and employ the SAW filter

if u don't want to increase ur board space , then u need to think in designing a balun on chip or u need to design it of chip with L and C passive elements , also ur balun can be matching circuit as well

khouly

Sorry Khouly,
but r u talkinhg about using a SAW filter AFTER LNA (ina single LNA system) to perform band selection..???
i think that the placement of this filter will be before the LNA (between the antenna and the LNA)
Correct me if i am wrong or i misunderstood u..
thanks again for your replies..

between the LNA and antenna ,there a duplexer which act as a filter as well

then after the LNA there is a SAW filter as well ,
both are used

i have seen other chipsets , without the SAW filter after the LNA , but also i have used ZIF chips with this SAW filter

also check this link and u will get my point

**broken link removed**

khouly

Status
Not open for further replies.