Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help in installing gcc in ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibaghdadi

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi;
I am having some troubles in installing GCC . Actually i followed the instructions in this website :Installing the GNU tools (avr-gcc) for AVRs But I think after trying all the possible ways I reached to a dead end, I hope if someone can help me. I will explain what I did in details, because I am not sure where the error is:
so after creating the directories and specifying the Path (as mentioned in that website) I had to go to binutils folder to configure it but the following command :
Code:
../configure --target=avr --prefix=/usr/local/avr --program-prefix="avr-"
Code:
bash: ../configure: NO such file or directory
I don't know if what I did is right but I tried to remove a dot from(../configure) and then it worked correctly I guess.
After that I installed it with make and make install without any problems.

Now the problem appeared again in configuring gcc the following command did not work at first.
Code:
../configure --target=avr --prefix=/usr/local/avr --enable-language=c --program-prefix="avr-"
But after some search I downloaded gmp4.3.2 and mpfr 3.0.1, untared them and put them in the gcc folder under the names of gmp and mpfr. and I ran ./configure and make and make install in each folder.

After that the ../configure (mentioned earlier) command in the gcc folder worked and make file was created but the command make did not work and gave me the following error:

I also tried the following command:
Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential
Can some one help me please?

ission to create /usr/local/avr ?

Perhaps you can run
Code:
make distclean
as mentioned in the error message.

GCC needs to compile on a separate directory you should pass a build dir kind of thing.

But Why not try CrossTool-NG ? it will take all your hassles and give you a cross compiler.

Hii dude

Why didi you all that much of lengthy process...
just follow the below instructions for installing GCC

open your terminal and

type

"sudo apt-get install gcc"

then it automatically download required packages and install it...

so once try it...

Hii dude

type

"sudo apt-get install gcc"

then it automatically download required packages and install it...

so once try it...

Well The OP asked about gcc for AVR. So if your distribution HAS a gcc-avr then only you can use "apt-get".

Well you are very correct but ...:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.