Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help in downloading program from PC to Atmega16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I did try all the suggestions given in this forum, however, I am still getting same error. What I noticed is that whether I connect target IC to usbasp or not I receive same error. I checked power at IC pins and it is getting 5V power.

Does this mean IC is defective?

This does look like a USB issue rather than a processor issue. AVRDUDESS is good to see what is going on - but it needs libusb0.dll to work. That was a problem I had with my system. Once that was resolved I could program the processor.

Hi,

I did try all the suggestions given in this forum.......Does this mean IC is defective?

in post#4 I recommended:
Use a new microcontroller and manage to get a valid communication. Reading only. Chip ID...memory contents...
With this you can verify that all your connections are correct.

Be careful with programming clock fuses or brown out fuses....
You tried this. So what was the result? Did you manage to get a communication with a NEW chip?

Klaus

This does look like a USB issue rather than a processor issue. AVRDUDESS is good to see what is going on - but it needs libusb0.dll to work. That was a problem I had with my system. Once that was resolved I could program the processor.

I did try with AVRDUDESS and this is the message I got

avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 8000 Hz
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

What is libusb0.dll file? How to check if it is working?

How to check if it is working?

You have already received enough information about the fragility of the programming method via SPI, as well as received the answer to your question, repeated here: Replace the microcontroller with another one, now correctly configuring the Fuses before downloading the firmware to the chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.