Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help in cutting pcb problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
:-D

i cutting pcb by 2 way

1- olfa plastic cutter

57477-1800-23ww-l.jpg

2- table saw

**broken link removed**

but the cutting is not 100% correct the edge of pcb is not Straight.
example
the measurement of pcb from left is (9.3cm) and from right is (9.1cm)
how to correct this error

Last edited:

Thanks for the Nice suggestion.
For those who cant access such 'OLFA " tool, one can get it made with converting a kitchen knife over a gindwheel toget the shape needed.

Actually, 0.2 mm with the tools you show is not bad; although, you didn't say how long the edges that you wanted to be parallel were. The accuracy of the table saw can be improved by using a rip fence. I use one of these:

80467_R.jpg

Other models are available that cover the price range from about $9 to $65 based on a very quick search. I prefer a fence that attaches to both the front and rear of the saw. Another variable is the saw blade. I uses a carbide-tipped blade that is relatively thick. You need to adjust the arbor to remove wobble. Nevertheless, I often end up dressing the cut edge with a sanding block or belt sander.

There are, of course, other methods to cut PCB, including CNC routers/mills, but I assume you want to use the tools you currently have,

John

Last edited:
I use one such in a pen shape. Glass epoxy double sided, cutting became very easy for me. Good enough for hobby and homebrew

thank all :grin:
yes i use rip fence with table saw

but i make many pieces of pcb like (100 pieces of pcb )
so i want method good for (100 pieces of pcb)

I use this to cut my pcbs... less than millimeter error, quite not measurable
yes I know it's expensive ! ;)

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

this is my pcb and i arrow the error.

Photo1472.JPG
Photo1475.JPG

can i correct it after cutting ?

I use some heavy caliber paper guillotine which i have bought from a nearby office which was being sold out, because they went bankrupt. It is extremely heavy (~20 kg?), but also durable.

can i use this tool.Grinding Machine

**broken link removed**

Referring back to post #8, I think what you are seeing is inaccuracy near the end (or beginning) of a cut. For example, when using a rip fence, you don't have quite the same control at the ends of a cut as you do in the middle. Some of the solution is simply experience. Be sure the fence in- feed and out-feed are long enough and the blade is parallel to the fence. Many saws have adjustments, and I use a dial caliper to set mine. It often means loosening the bolts that hold the saw arbor/motor unit to the table top to get it right. That adjustment does not need to be done very often, but I would always check a new saw to be sure it is in adjustment. Blade wobble can sometimes be addressed with blade stiffeners on both sides. If the arbor is bent, that is a much more difficult, but not impossible problem to address.

One hint is to not saw completely through the PCB. Go about 3/4 of the way through. That allows better control during the out-feed or end of the cut. It also keeps chips of PCB from flying at you. The piece can the be snapped and the flashing easily removed. As for the error in the shorter cut (i.e., a cross cut). The trick there is to be sure your miter gauge is adjusted correctly and the PCB is held tightly against it during cutting. I would not try using the ripping fence for that cut.

When I mentioned cleaning the edge with abrasive, of course, you need to keep dust to a minimum and wear a particle filter to cover your nose and mouth. For just a few items, the abrasive paper (use paper intended for metal finishing or "wet or dry" paper) can be attached to a flat block of wood. I also use metal abrasive strips impregnated with carbide. For higher volume work, I would use a belt sander/grinder, not a bench unit with wheels.

In sum, I think adjustment of your saw and careful technique will suffice. I rarely have to do more than touch up an edge. As mentioned by FVM, purpose-made shears are an excellent option. Be aware that PCB material is quite abrasive. Paper shears will likely dull quickly. Even metal shears will lose their edge. A prototype shop I am familiar with had two foot shears. One was for metal and the other was for PCB's. No one dared use the metal shear for a PCB.

John

thank you jpanhalt . for helping me .

i find the problem.
the problem in my (tct blade & rip fence )
i solve the problem of rip fence
but the blade it cutt sides. and it make the pcb not straight and ripple
2011.jpg

thank all i solve problem by using home made belt grinding machine

Status
Not open for further replies.