Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help identifying this motor. Can this be used in place of a

Status
Not open for further replies.

joprinz

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was trying to find what motors i can obtain locally. A friend of mine gave me an old motor and told me if I could make it run he has plenty of motors of the same type. But I had never seen a motor like this before. He said its from the blower of an old air conditioning unit. There was some circuitry near the place the wires come out of the motor (probably hall effect sensor or the like) which is not there anymore.

It does not have any brushes.I checked the coils. They are intact. A 12v dc can make the motor spin one step. Switch the battery poles n we got it make another step. Is this a Stepper motor? or a Brushless DC/AC motor? Or any toher type? Has anyone come across a motor like this?

Hope someone can help me identify what kind of motor it is!

Also I was wondering if this motor can be used in anyway as drive motors for CNC?

Thank You!

Joe!

Re: Help identifying this motor. Can this be used in place o

Most probably synchronous electric motor.

It's a kind of permanent magnet two-phase synchronous motor.

The coil configuration can't be seen clearly from your photos, but I guess it has two terminals in each of the two stator
coil blocks? Apparently it has two pole pairs. It can be operated as bipolar stepper motor, but the full-step angle of 45°
would be somewhat coarse. Otherwise, it can work as brushless DC or single phase AC motor with a phase shift capacitor.

There are only two wires coming out of the motor. So i believe we can only move the motor by changing the polarity of the supply? Is there a better way to drive this motor?

Joe!

joprinz said:
There are only two wires coming out of the motor. So i believe we can only move the motor by changing the polarity of the supply? Is there a better way to drive this motor? Joe!
The said motor doesnt require the polarities to be changed to get operated. The external 4 coild are connected in series but probably wound in the oppasite directions and the centre Armature is having 4 magnets probably arranged in the opposite polarities face to face and thus when the external coil is supplied with a DC volatges, the repelling and attracting forces will drive the shaft....Cheers

It looks like the AC motors I've pulled out of HVAC units.

If stator is just non-magnetic metal, I'd put 110Volt AC to it real quick and see if it spins all the way

Is the rotor stator is permanent magnetic then it is likely DC of some kind

maybe it is a brushless dc motor and if so. it need an electronic drive circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back