Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help identify component!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

freerider2012

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Here I have a small transmitter to remotely operate a water pump, it is kind of a "generic" remote cos it has 4 buttons and only 2 are needed, I have also seen a seller in china selling these on ebay listing with multi use.
Anyway I have 2 water pumps, and 2 remotes, which work each others receiver, and this is a problem, so I wanted to change the component pointed by the arrow, after my research i determine it could be a ceramic resonator (I assumed it was a crystal oscillator but I dont see 2 capacitors, this thing has 3 pins so I believe it is a ceramic resonator instead)
pic01.jpeg

So I basically just want to buy a resonator of different frequency so both remotes operate different pumps (I realize the receiver will need resinator/oscillator changing also)

On the 2nd picture the circled area are the resonator pins, 1 of them is grounded, and the voltage across the ground pin and other 2 pins matches that coming off the battery (supposed to be 12v but it has been used a while and has dropped to 10.73v, well 1 pin is this reading and the other is slightly less)
pic02.jpeg

When looking on ebay i see ceramic resonators which look very different in physical appearance (brown/orange or blue blobs with 3 pins in line coming out the bottom), so would 1 of these work?

The writing on the component is hard to read (partially rubbed off), it looks like it reads BX R433A (last 2 characters very obscure so may be wrong).

Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

It is certainly a good quality, when we desire to make things perfect.

And it's understandable that you want to change the frequency of your transmitter/receiver units. If it's within your ability.

There are several unknowns at the outset. Success depends on your locating two resonators which are compatible with the existing circuitry. Given time and effort you may succeed.

However is it a great loss if you ruin one of the units?

Suppose you try the following...

Can you make a way to control the first pump by pressing only buttons 1 & 2 on one remote? Then can you cover or disable buttons 3 & 4?

Can you control the second pump by pressing only buttons 3 & 4 on the other remote? Then can you cover or disable buttons 1 & 2?

Because right now I am recalling a few episodes where I should have left well enough alone. I had something that was 'mostly okay'. Usable. But because it wasn't perfect, I set out to improve it. In the process I broke something on it which I could not fix, thereby ruining what usability it had before I started messing with it.

I hear what your saying, dont fix what isnt broken, and I too have ruined something in the past with my tinkering.

Button 3 does turn on but button 4 does nothing, but button 3 again works both!
The water pump is actually part of my water fed pole window cleaning system, which works great on the days when im working alone, but some days I have a friend who has his own identical system, and I keep turning his off when operating mine, we usually just manually switch them off but its annoying have to walk over to the machine when the remote works well from a distance.
My problem with replacing this resonator is finding 1 the same, the only 1 i found of similar physical appearance was on a rf module
**broken link removed**

A funny side note, the transmitter is on same frequency as some peoples wireless doorbells, they come to the door while im working asking if i pressed the doorbell, lol

A funny side note, the transmitter is on same frequency as some peoples wireless doorbells, they come to the door while im working asking if i pressed the doorbell, lol

I too would laugh.

Now that creates an incentive for changing all your units' frequencies.

If their onboard oscillator is as simple as the Ebay device looks, then maybe you could install a replacement oscillator?

This link is to a website with articles on modifying musical instruments.
He discusses resonators, crystals, etc. He makes it look easy to change an oscillator (or oscillator frequencies).

https://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/tutorials/LTCinstallation1.html

The link below shows a schematic model of a resonator resembles a coil and 2 capacitors. So it might even be possible to make your own.

https://www.murata.com/products/resonator/basic/ceralock/principle.html

Thanks for the links, interesting reading, but I am still unsure of what the component is, ceramic or crystal???
And the most puzzling thing being Internet search I cannot find identical component in appearance, ceramic ones r colourful and crystal ones having 2 or 4 pins.
Thanks for the help tho

Thank you, I have found a similar resonator on ebay which is 418mHz https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RFMonoli...al_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item5ae22d8f34
So now my next challenge is to figure out what to do with the receiving end, which is even more puzzling as the crystal oscillator (which is what it looks like to me) has the number 6.772 written on it, so what would I replace this with to get the desired 418mHz to match the transmitter (if i was to purchase the above ebay auction)
here r the pics of the receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back