Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help:how to measure effective dielectric constant in HFSS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

godsound

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I am not studying microstrip circuit design. By using HFSS, I set a micrpstrip line and want to obtain its impedance as well as its effective dielectric constant. However, I have been using HFSS for only 4 days, and do not know how to do it. I think I have to use wave port. Should I use driven modal or driven terminal? And how to get them especially effective dielectric constant from results?

Would you please help me on this issue? Thanks.

If you have only one terminal just use the driven modal solver. To get the impedance and effective dielectric constant it would be very tedious to do it on HFSS you may use other fre packages such as linegauge from zeland software

Re: Help:how to measure effective dielectric constant in HFS

godsound shalom,

It is easily achieved with HFSS:

1) Use a Driven Modal solution and a waveport. Make sure its about 4 times higher than the dielectric and 5 times wider than the microstrip (on each side).
2) In the Solution Setup check the "Solve Ports Only" solution.
3) If you want some extra extra accuracy change the port solver accuracy from 2% to 0.1% (in the advanced tab)
4) run the simulation
5) Right click Results->Solution Data. Click Gamma checkbox. The effective Epsilon Appears.

Regards,
Itai

Re: Help:how to measure effective dielectric constant in HFS

Thanks, Itai

I have found it in HFSS' help document too. Thank you anyway

Godsound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back