Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Help] how to calculate characteritic impedendance in cmos

Status
Not open for further replies.

scuba

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
when i draw a line w=30um ,length=100um . what's itimpedence? how to calculate Z0 .if i have known the substrate parameter(TSMC 0.18um).
or which book is relative data.

You may consider like microstrip line on silicon. If we assume the relative permittivity of silicon 11.7 and if we know the substrate height which is generally 100-300um, we can calculate characteristic impedance of this transmission line.

Can't we ??

Re: [Help] how to calculate characteritic impedendance in cm

i will try it.
i have other question.if i calculate Z0 in cmos as microstrip line. how do i translate loss tangent to conductivity cause i just have conductivity in substrate not loss tangent. what's their relationship. or did you have some example?
thank you.

Re: [Help] how to calculate characteritic impedendance in cm

Do yourself a favor, download SonnetLite (www.sonnetsoftware.com, I work for Sonnet). Install is a couple minutes. Then do Help->Tutorial and you are up to speed on Sonnet in about an hour. Then capture your line on cmos, including substrate conductivity. Analyze it and you get S-parameters plus characteristic impedance and Eeff. Both Eeff and characteristic impedance are complex for lossy transmission lines.

To determine the accuracy, analyze a second time with half the cell size. The difference is about equal to the error of the smaller cell size result. You should be able to get results to about +/- 0.5% in Zo and +/- 0.1% for Eeff very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back