Help for a basic circuit diagram design...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepy81

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

I have a 4 switches that I'm goin to connect to a USB joystick board. The USB board has +5V and ground connections, and emulate a button press on a joystick when the circuit is closed. Just wiring up the buttons to the board works fine, but I have a problem that i'm unsure of how to solve.

This is the how the 4 switches are wired now:
**broken link removed**

As you can see, what I want is for Switch 1 to break ground so that none of the other switches work until I have flipped Switch 1 on.

The problem I have is that I want Switch 1 to "enable" the other switches, but ALSO send a signal to the USB board. (requering it to have a +5V connection also.)

**broken link removed**

If I wire it up like above, I get a signal to my USB board also, but of course now Switch 1 does not break the ground circuit, so all the other buttons also work, regardless of Switch 1's position...

So is there a way that I could wire this setup so I both have Switch 1 able to break the ground for the other switches AND also have it send a signal (+5V) to the USB board?

I'm totaly unexperienced in these things, so I have no clue if its even possible.

With no resistors in your circuit, that will make a short circuit and is no good.

The USB board itself has resistors in it (i presume)

Its a commercialy avalible USB board, that you connect to a computer to emulate joystick button presse and axis.

This is the one I have:
https://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/

So I have already tried the board and the switches with the above mentioned diagrams, and they work, just not the way I want.

Is there anything I can add (diodes, resistors etc. I wouldn't know, 'cause I have no experience in this whatsoever... ) to the circuit to make Switch 1 send a signal to the USB board AND break the ground to the other switches?

Added after 16 minutes:

After reading a bit more about switches I guess a Dobble Pole Single Throw switch could work? Having the ground and +5V connection close simultaniously when I flipp the switch...

Are all +5VAC connected in common? If so, then the circuit same as just one switch.

could you show us a block diagram from joystick to the usb? So, we can visualize what are you trying to implement.

Added after 54 minutes:

Try this circuit.

The Ground is common, but the +5V are separate. One for each button the USB board emulates.

Heres another fantastic "artwork" I created in paint, that might explain a little better:

There is no joystick per se, the USB board "replicates" a joystick. The PC "sees" the USB board as a universal joystick with 32 buttons, 8 axis and a 4 way HAT switch. ( I only use 4 of the buttons for this setup)

**broken link removed**

The +5V connections are separate and go to the USB board. One for each joystick button to be emulated.

If I install switch 1 as a DPST switch, and connect that to the +5V for Switch 1 and the common ground that should work i think.

Switch 1 Open:
Ground circuit open
+5V signal circuit SW1 open

Switch 1 Closed:
Ground circuit closed (all the other buttons get grounded)
+5V signal circuit SW1 closed (signal sent to usb board)

If I have understood DPST switches right (one switch action opens/closes two circuits?), then this should work?

Added after 1 hours 26 minutes:

BTW, I have relized that drawing these diagrams in paint will not work in the long run. I plan to extend the circuit diagram in the future.

Is there any "circuit design diagram" applications out there?

I need something that is:
-Easy to use
-Preferably "drag and drop" design (f.eks a toolbox with typical switches and electrical symbols that you can drag and drop into your design)
-Don't need anything advanced
-Would be nice if it can calculate things for you, and be able to use a "virtual multimeter"
-Must be FREE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…