Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help finding sub for Transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddbailey

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
anyone know how to find sub for a transistor marked

GE
or

OGE or DGE

is this even a valid part number?
any specs? NPN or PNP etc.

fyi found in 100 watt audio amp as a driver to tip 31/32 pair

thanks

GE1822 doesn't seem to be a valid transistor. Could it be a 2SK1822 - TO220 MOSFET? It doesn't sound a likely drive for a TIP31/32 though. A picture may help as it may show a logo.

Keith.

Did mosfet technology even exist back in the early 1970's for mainstream consumer audio equipment?

OK, here is a image of the part in question:

I removed the heat sink to see if there was any other identifying information, there wasn't any. Those are 1/2 watt resistors, btw, for size comparison.

39_1267900948.jpg

Oh, I see. Yes, that's old. I will have a look when in the next couple of days, but it does look like an old GE part. Internet information for something that old is unlikely.

Keith

I'm in the process of creating a schematic, not fun.

Once I have a basic flow I can have a better idea of what is going on.
In testing I see a clean sine wave going in and a clipped sinewave coming out.

I'll have to research how to determine if it's a NPN or a PNP transistor.
As I recall it has something to do with polarity at the E or C terminal.

At least on the back side of the pcb, are the letters E B and C, in most cases.
so that helps

Being an audio amp, the choice of available parts is sizable, I can scan the NTE database and probably find something.

I suspect that I just need to take a series of voltage measurements then select a part that has spec's that exceed them by 10 % or so
But I've never had any sucess in part subsitution.

To add to my pain, I haven't done analog service in over 30 years.
Other than replacing old caps, resistors and a few blown xformers with new in a old McIntosh tube amp.

I wonder if it is old enough to be germanium? I will see what data books I have but I don't have much before the 1980s.

Keith

I've had a look in my old data books but cannot find anything. I had hoped an old cross reference guide may have listed it, but I couldn't find it. I also had a look in an old book of reference cicruit designs to see if it was in there, but no luck.

Keith.

I'm also trying to find subs for these that are in a Harmony B1200 17W Bass Amp. Did you have any luck finding anything out?

Maybe the GE stands for Germanium? Weird, I know, but possible?

I'm gonna try subbing them with some BJT's and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.