Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Help finding help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GH Crash

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm new to the forum. And know nothing about electronics but dabble in small electronic circuits fro use with model airplanes and capacitors, I need help in finding a one-on-one source for questions and suggestions concerning small/simple electronic circuit(s) for use with, super capacitors or hybrid capacitors. Can someone suggest a company or individual who could help?
I've tried electronic engineering service companies but my projects are too small to be of interest to them.

Basically I will have a idea of what I want to do but not how to go about it. I need help in the form of a suggested approach or a simple circuit design of something that might work. I can usually draw up a prototype circuit using Easy EDA. I need that circuit checked and, maybe some recommendation on components to use.

As an example here are the requirements of my present electronic project. The circuit will be used to control the small DC electric motors used in free flight model aircraft where supercapacitors provide the electrical power.
  1. The completed circuit must be light. Under 0.75 grams max weight, under 0.5g is the goal.
  2. The circuit must be capable of handling (controlling) motor currents up to 3 amps.
  3. The circuit must contain a means to easily adjust the power output of the motor.
  4. The circuit should be rated to a minimum of six volts and operate satisfactorily at a minimum input voltage of 2.0 volts.
  5. The completed circuit board needs to be small, under 15mm square.
I've got a prototype voltage regulator circuit but its not giving me the range of motor control I should have and the voltage regulator is getting hot even when the current is way below its rated capacity.

Hopefully someone knows about an individual or a small consulting company that can help me. Helping me would probably average less than an hour a month.

George

Hi,

here surely are people who will help you.

First: a sketch is always a good idea.

Then a couple of questions. You might not be able to answer them all. But try your best to give values with units.

Motor: simple brushed DC motor, up to 6V up to 3A ?
Controlling: means what? PWM? linear? one direction or both? control range? how fast? what resolution?
Who / which device decides the control setpoint? How?
Adjust power output: Is the goal really to control "power"? or rather RPM or torque?
15mm^2 or 15mm x 15mm?

Your prototype voltage regulator: Please show it to us .. with a minimum of explanation.

Klaus

Klaus,
First, thanks for your reply. But I think the you missed the question. Or, as often the case, I didn't state the question clearly enough. The question was in finding a source of help for any and all of my electronic projects, not just the project given as an example.

Motor: Yes, a simple 2-pole brushed coreless motor. Similar to https://www.aliexpress.com/item/225...00015472662533!sea&curPageLogUid=61xRTHtS1zZW
Controlling means: A propeller is connected to the motor, either direct drive or through gears. In this instance controlling means controlling the thrust generated by the prop. The prop only turns one direction, so we are talking one direction control. The method of achieving that control (voltage, PWM or whatever) is immaterial. IF you read carefully you will note that I have one version of the device using voltage regulation.
Control set-point: The operator of the device manually sets the set-point by some simple adjustment method, like a tuning pot on the circuit.
Size: Max size is 15mm by 15mm.

Items not mention in the example project requirements are left open to individual interpretation.

Again, Please note that this posting is a request on where to find help in doing small hobby-type electronic circuit designs. It is not a request for help on the example project.

George

If you're looking to HIRE someone to do the design, then it shouldn't be a problem finding a consultant to do this. The IEEE, for one, has a consultants network for linking engineers with customers. You could also try LinkedIn. I'm sure there are other sources that I'm just not thinking of.

If you're looking for advice, then, as Klaus said, you can post your questions here and get free advice. Or, you might be able to link up with an engineer on this board who would work for you.

I'm not looking to hire an individual to do a project, or projects. I'm thinking more along the lines of an individual or maybe consulting service that can suggest ways to approach a project and to answer some questions like: How much capacitance do I need to filter out noise or why is the LDO voltage regulator getting hot when its operating within its rated parameters?

My experience with technical forums in the past has been a little short of satisfactory. I can ask a question and I'm likely to receive several answers. The trouble usually is that some of those answers are made by individual who may not be knowledgeable enough to have posted an answer. Klaus' reply is an example of another forum problem I've had. People do not read, or understand, the question that being asked. I appreciate Klaus' response. He didn't help answer my question but did make it clear that I may have mislead people when I gave the example project.

I would love to find an individual through this forum who is willing to act as a mentor, answer question and occasionally provide simple circuit diagrams. What I need is someone that will help with me learning a little about circuit design.

I'm not opposed to paying for service but I cannot afford, or justify, paying engineering hourly rates to answer simple question or say "try this design."

Above all, thanks to everyone who has read my post and especially to those individuals who have responded. I may seem argumentative. I'm not, I just don't know enough to express myself clearly.

George

I know almost nothing about electronics but still enjoy in dabbling in small electronic circuit designs. The circuits I'm primarily interested in are those where the circuit is in some way involved with the use of super capacitors or hybrid capacitors to power electric free flight model airplanes. I need help in finding a one-on-one source for answers to questions and suggestions on how to approach certain circuit goals or designs. Can someone suggest a company or individual who could help? I've tried electronic engineering service companies but my projects are too small to be of interest to them. Past experience with forums is that there can be many responses to the same question and it is difficult to determine which is best, which are workable, and which are not applicable to the question ask.

My cry for help is not in solving any one particular question or problem, it is in learning something about electronics and circuit design. I would love to find an individual, or a small consulting firm, who is willing to act as a mentor, answer question and occasionally provide simple circuit diagrams.

Thanks for your time and any help you can give.

George

My goodness, what a long-winded, stubborn poster you are.

Your initial post said “I need help in finding a one-on-one source for questions and suggestions concerning small/simple electronic circuit(s) for use with, super capacitors or hybrid capacitors”, and then when you’re given the answer of using THIS forum, or other outside consultants, you complain that we’re not reading your question or that these types of forums don’t help you.

So, here’s some ideas: go to an engineering college for a minimum of four years. Get some years of experience in industry. Read the appropriate data sheets. Contact manufacturer application engineers. Make a friend who’s an electrical engineer and ask them your questions.

Hi Barry,

To carry on with my stubborn long winded poster avitar, let me address your comments.
As you noted, I said one-on-one. I don't see how posting on a forum where there may be replies from multiple individuals can be considered one-on-one. I also explained that outside consultants were not interested in my small projects and that I could afford to pay consulting rates, which range from $60/hr on up.

Your suggestions of college, industry experience, read data sheets or make an electrical engineering friend are valid, at least to a point. I read the data sheets. (I don't always fully understand them.) I've contacted manufacturer application engineers but with limited results. I'm in my early 80s and retired. The time requirements for re-education and starting a second career in the industry doesn't yield any immediate results. Make an electrical engineering friend, now that is an idea. That is what I would like to do, in part, what I'm asking help in doing.

Barry, and others, I'm not trying to be stubborn or argumentative. I really am just asking for some help in doing some circuit design(s) as a means of advancing my main hobby of capacitor powered free flight model aircraft.

In light of your comments Barry, I will try posting project specific question on this forum and see how well that works.

My apologies to all that I have offended. I'm stuck, something is wrong but I can't find where to get help.

George

why are you stuck on one-on-one?
there is always more than one way to solve any problem

The question was in finding a source of help for any and all of my electronic projects, not just the project given as an example.

as Klaus said
here surely are people who will help you.

so what if you get multiple responses?
after a few of your projects, you'll probably find one or two of the regular responders whose answers you like best,
or who seem to understand your questions best.

so get a move on on the project you opened with and answer Klaus's questions.

I posted one quarry for help with a circuit. So far, less that 24 hours, I'm still having to address questions about items that are not important or relevant to what I'm trying to do.

Hi,

Different people think in different directions. This is quite normal.
Communication and discussion is nothing bad at all.
It helps to get the best result.

Usually this discussions are a benefit, it helps to avoid mistakes others already made, while it gives new ideas.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back