Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help finding a bridge recitifer

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanker1

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am fairly new to the electronics world. I just got an internship with an LED company. As a first project my boss wanna run some LED's with an Iout of .5A to 1A using a stepdown transformer of Vin 12VAC. He told me to look into different bridge rectifiers which are SMD. I looked up the electronics website and some of these electrical terms are foreign to me. like Vrrm, If, Iav, Ir, Vdc etc.
I would really appreciate if you could shed some light on decyphering some of these terms so that i could find the right bridge for this project

Thanks much

A rectifier block you need is a quad of rectifier diodes. For your parameters, 12 V AC and up to 1 A, you can use any available diodes like 1N4001...6 (the last digit determines the max.reverse voltage, 100 to 600 V).
Such diodes can carry 1 A or more.
To supply LED circuits, other parameters like you indicated are almost irrelevant as I assume your input will be a 120V AC to 12 V AC transformer (you can find a wall plug-in directly offering 12 V, 1 A regulated for a low cost).
Find a data sheet on any commercial diode bridge and the Vrrmax is the max reverse peak voltage, If is diode max forward current, I av is the average DC current for a given dissipated power (diodes get warm due to a finite voltage drop for the forward current). Ir is the reverse current at a maximum reverse voltage (usually neglectable below it, a microampere or so). Vdc is the output DC voltage when the load is preceded by a typical RC or LC filter to reduce ripple.

Find a basic electronics textbook and read about rectifiers. They are simple but they may grow quite complex under special conditions.

A rectifier block you need is a quad of rectifier diodes. For your parameters, 12 V AC and up to 1 A, you can use any available diodes like 1N4001...6 (the last digit determines the max.reverse voltage, 100 to 600 V).
Such diodes can carry 1 A or more.
To supply LED circuits, other parameters like you indicated are almost irrelevant as I assume your input will be a 120V AC to 12 V AC transformer (you can find a wall plug-in directly offering 12 V, 1 A regulated for a low cost).
Find a data sheet on any commercial diode bridge and the Vrrmax is the max reverse peak voltage, If is diode max forward current, I av is the average DC current for a given dissipated power (diodes get warm due to a finite voltage drop for the forward current). Ir is the reverse current at a maximum reverse voltage (usually neglectable below it, a microampere or so). Vdc is the output DC voltage when the load is preceded by a typical RC or LC filter to reduce ripple.

Find a basic electronics textbook and read about rectifiers. They are simple but they may grow quite complex under special conditions.

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate it..

Status
Not open for further replies.