Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help determining cap values...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q-ship

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My elderly neighbor asked me if I could fix her Inogen oxygen concentrator ( I fixed her TV about a year ago so I have miraculously been elevated from the hack that I am to an electronic engineering wizard)!

Inogen told her the machine would have to be replaced (a couple Thousand dollars she doesn't have), so I dug into it and discovered a cap that had broken loose from the board due to the constant vibration of the compressor… Easy fix which would elevate me into divinity status in her eyes, BUT…. I can’t find any source to decipher the cap values so I can order/replace the weak ones. I’m used to markings that are more straight forward (lets not forget that I am really just a helpful hack, NOT the genius she thinks I am).

The cap is a surface mount that measures about 6mm X 6mm and is marked 67J 100 EHB (please see the attached photo).

Any help anyone can give as to the values, and where I can order some will be greatly appreciated as Inogen is no help whatsoever.

Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• Inogen_small_caps.jpg
    Inogen_small_caps.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 145

67 uF 100V %5 Tolerance Electrolytic Capacitor.
EHB series of-probably- KEMET but it's old type.If it will be used in an ordinary position, you can replace with any other series.

67 uF 100V %5 Tolerance Electrolytic Capacitor.
Something's wrong. You don't get 67uF/100V in 6x6 mm. Hence the coding must be somehow different.

As a first step, I would determine the circuit voltage level If the pins are broken but still electrically accessible, it might be possible to measure the capacitance with an LCR meter.

Maybe it is not 6mmx6mm?? It might have 12.5mm diameter. It's not obvious from the picture..

First, Thanks for the help so far, it's greatly appreciated.

I re-measured (as best I could) after looking at how a cap is measured in a catalog and it’s 7mm diameter & 7.5mm tall --- Again, this is not necessarily completely accurate, just as close as I can come with stone-age tools and ancient eyes. (see photos)

I am trying to find someone with a capacitance testing meter (I only have a volt/ohm type), but I doubt I will be able to as seemingly NO ONE does component level electronics now days! I don’t even have a component shop in town anymore so will have to shop on-line only.

If it’s any help, the machine operates on either it’s power supply that outputs 19V, 3.42A, or it’s battery that’s rated 14.4V, 6.5 Ah, 93.6 Wh.

Just as a point of interest, the machine is so small that the interior space is really tight and the compressor’s suspension system allows it to sometimes touch the capacitors if it’s subjected to any bumping. Of course it is designed to be carried around like a purse so it does get bumped around. I included a photo that shows another cap that is very close to breaking off but I can RTV/silicone it down and provide it some support.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and again, Thank you.

Attachments

• Cap_size.jpg
    Cap_size.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 138
  • Cap-tilt.jpg
    Cap-tilt.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 152

Electrolytic, SMD capacitor. Its actually 100uF, but I have to find what the other markings mean. It has to do with the class and use of the capacitor I think. Can you please measure it?

Last edited:

Hello Q-ship,
As CC has already stated, it's a 100uF cap, with a probable voltage of 63 volts. I'd
say it's a typo error.
If you're able to obtain a 100uF 63V cap, there wouldn't be a problem. You
should be able to find one of the correct dimensions.
It's perfectly OK to replace a cap with a higher capacitance and/or voltage
rating.
Regards,
Relayer

Status
Not open for further replies.