Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Designing a Flyback Inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhijeet080808

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys!

I need a little help here. Let me begin with what I am doing. I have a flyback transformer from a generic 400W computer PSU. I am using it in reverse - I am applying 12V to the secondary. And I need 200+V from the primary. Now, when I have no loads on it, the output after the rectifier and capacitor is as I want. The input side is driven by a IRFZ44N MOSFET at around 100kHz by a MCU at 50% duty cycle.

The problem is, if I apply any load (say 10W), o/p goes to 0.xxV and the MOSFET heats up. Any help as to why this is happening?

Thanks for helping!

you are shorting out your primary. probably your duty cycle is going to 100%. is this a regulated power supply? or open loop 50%? if open loop, try droping the duty cycle to 45%

post your schematic and we can help better

Mr.Cool

It is open loop fixed 50% duty cycle.

The circuit is standard textbook flyback. No snubbers or extra flywheel diodes added anywhere. An Atmega32 MCU drives the MOSFET using a 100khz 5V signal.

One doubt, can a flyback transformer be used in reverse like I did?

p.s. - if anyone still needs a circuit, just let me know.

If it's actually a flyback transformer, it won't work with 50% duty cycle and no load.

^^ Can you please explain? The main transformer in a generic computer PSU is flyback aint it?

At no load (only cap + resistor), I do get the required voltage though.

Edit - if it is not flyback, I guess it can produce similar symptoms due to core saturation, correct?

How do you know that it's designed as flyback transformer? Did you measure the main inductance or the current waveforms in your circuit?

No, I don't know for sure. I was told it is a flyback. And I do not have access to a CRO for some days. Hence this topic! Any qualitative test to find out for sure?

i don't think it will work,
most of the Computer SMPS works on half bridge

normally working on 220 volt having min - max volt of about 170-270v , ie at the volt min it should give the required output.

so the primary turns will be very less taking account of duty cycle

Hi,
Yea, most 200-300W ones work on half bridge, but I saw many 400W PSUs built on flyback topology.

Status
Not open for further replies.