Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help- Design of charge pump using low Vt NMOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbhalerao

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
low vt high vt

Hi to all,
I am presently a part of research group. We are analysying various circuits to be used in a Wireless Sensor node..
We need to design a charge pump (Dickson Charge pump) that takes a input of ~0.2 V or ~ 0.3 V and converts into `2 V at the output.. We are using PSPICE to simulate the circuit.. (We may also use TSpice- if its useis warranted)..
The main problem is - we need a low Vt NMOS transistor model.. In fact, in some IEEE research papers, people have explored designs using zero Vt NMOS.. However, I cannot understand how we could have a zero Vt NMOs .. We a model is available for zero Vt or very low Vt NMOS, we would be helped to a great degree.
I tried searching at various places on the web,but did not find any such models..
1) Could anyone suggest what I should do?
2) Could anyone post any low Vt NMOS model ??

Thanking you all in advance,
Shantanu Bhalerao,
ECE, NIT Nagpur

low vt nmos

If using the zero-vt NMOS, the reverse leakage current becomes larger.
However, your input voltage is only 0.2 V.
What is voltage swing of the clock signal ?

slchen

sbhalerao

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
spice charge pump

Thank you slchen for your reply.
The voltage swing of the clock signal is 0.5 V... I actually did not anticipate any problem regarding large reverse leakage current...
And how do I use a zero - Vt NMOS ??? How is the zero Vt possible??
What model/parameters do I use in SPICE simulations??

zero vt dickson charge pump

Zero Vt is possible. u can modify the spice model by yourself. Vt is controllable. negative vt is also possible., which is the depletion transistor

sbhalerao

zero vt nmos

pfd001 said:
Zero Vt is possible. u can modify the spice model by yourself. Vt is controllable. negative vt is also possible., which is the depletion transistor

So you mean that I should just put Vto = 0 V in the BSIM model to be used in SPICE ??
I also was thinking on similar lines, but I did not know if changing this parameter in the BSIM model is the correct thing to do.. I am using BSIM 3.3 model for NMOS 0.18 um technology..
Thanks for all the help..
Shantanu

low vt and high vt charge pump

It is just for simulation. u can make sure ur schematic is correct with it. When u design it, u can get the spice model from the foundry. Normally, the EEPROM process has low vt transistors.

sbhalerao

zero vt charge pump

I just wanted to get this verified from all people here ---

For zero- Vt NMOS , I just need to put Vto= 0 in the SPICE model ??
I am not using any biasing and Vto = Threshold voltage at zero bias ...

charge pump pcspice design

@sbhalerao,

Before designing anything, it is better to check whether a suitable low Vt device available in any foundry that you can built your circuit. If a proper process is not available than playing around with Vt of transistors is fine to satisfy ones academic quriosity, but not meaningfull for any practical results.

sbhalerao

vt nmos

AFAIK all fabs offer zero Vt and is free.... is not an added mask. It is very used for caps because they are more linear. If you make a cap wioth normal device the value of the cap varies wildly around the Vt.

It is misunderstandiing. zero vt deviceis not available for standard cmos process. can you explain how the cap with zero vt transitor? is it a gate-source cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back