Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help : Converting 8 bit to 16 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverickmax

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
signed 8 bits

Hi

I am struggling to understand why negative 8 bit convert to 16 bit ? What about positive?

What is the benefit?

Code:
if (data[i]&0x0080)
         data[i] += 0xFF00; // convert to negative 16-bit 
else
         data[i] = data[i];
end

The most significant bit of a signed number is the minus bit. Without the adjustment to a 16 bit ('+= 0xFF00') negative an 8 bit negative would be still be a positive number in signed 16 bit.

Because we only want to convert a range limited subset, we need to adjust the negative value.

In a signed 8 bit number we go from -128 (0x80) through -1 (0xFF) then 0 to +127 (0x7F).

In a signed 16 bit we go from -32768 (0x8000) through -128 (0xFF80) to -1 (0xFFFF) then 0 through +127 (0x007F) to 32767 (0x7FFF).

As you can see, the positive side need no adjustment, but the negative needs to be within -128 from zero (0xFF80) for the conversion to work.

Try googling 'twos complement' if you need more information on how this works

I can’t remember a situation where I needed to do this ”conversion” (called sign extension) myself! Why would you?
Use casting [with care] instead and the compiler will take care of this for you and will do that more efficiently.
For instance:
Code:
signed char signed8 = -7;
int signed16 = (int)signed8;
will correctly give signed16 = -7

If your data comes form a stream, read it in a signed 8-bit variable first and cast it to a signed 16-bit. This can also be done in a step, like this:
Code:
int signed16 = (int)((signed char)data[i]);
Doing this you'll never need to hear about 2's complement again!

Arthur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back