Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help: Coaxial feed in IE3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhishek.vnit

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,
I need to feed the p.a.t.c.h antenna. I tried to follow the help but it was not very helpful.
Could anyone point to how coaxial feed could be implemented for rectangular patches. I have doubt especially about how to make a hole in the ground plane.
Moreover, it is a differential, feeding, so how do i specify the differential ports in this arrangement?
It would be great if JIAN could reply to this topic.
Thanking you in advance,
Regards,
Abhishek

Hi, abhishek.vnit:

Thank you for your posting. On IE3D, there is a command called ENTITY->PROBE FEED TO PATCH. What you should do is the following:
1. Define the BASIC PARAMETERS for the substrates and the meshing parameters.
2. Draw your patch on top of the substrate. For example, assume your substrate is 30 mils. You draw your patch (any shape) as a group of polygons.
3. Select INPUT->KEY IN ABSOLUTE LOCAITON. Enter the exact location of your probe at (X0, Y0, 30). MGRID may complain the entered vertex is inside the patch. However, pelase ignore it and keep the entered vertex there.
4. Then, you can select ENTITY->PROBE FEED TO PATCH. Please change the probe-radius to the correct value you want. Select OK and the structure is ready to simulate. IE3D's probe-feed model is very accurate. Best regards.

Point number 3 is also there in the IE3D users manual. But dont know why!! In fact I always neglect the 3rd point bcause 4th point itself can take care of the location of feed point.

jian said:
Hi, abhishek.vnit:

Thank you for your posting. On IE3D, there is a command called ENTITY->PROBE FEED TO fix. What you should do is the following:
1. Define the BASIC PARAMETERS for the substrates and the meshing parameters.
2. Draw your fix on top of the substrate. For example, assume your substrate is 30 mils. You draw your fix (any shape) as a group of polygons.
3. Select INPUT->KEY IN ABSOLUTE LOCAITON. Enter the exact location of your probe at (X0, Y0, 30). MGRID may complain the entered vertex is inside the fix. However, pelase ignore it and keep the entered vertex there.
4. Then, you can select ENTITY->PROBE FEED TO fix. Please change the probe-radius to the correct value you want. Select OK and the structure is ready to simulate. IE3D's probe-feed model is very accurate. Best regards.
:!::?::idea:

Hi, G86: Yes. Point 3 is not necessary. It just allows you to see exactly where the probe location before you build it. You can go to point 4 directly if you are sure about the point. Normally, it should be case because you should know exactly what you are doing. Sometime, you may be lazy to find exactly where it is. Then, you can use mouse to enter. For example, you know the feed point is at the center of the patch while you do not know its exact location. You can snap 2 vertices across a diagonal of the patch. Then, you can select INPUT->INSERT MID POINT to find the mid-point of the center. Then, you can use ENTITY->PROBE FEED TO PATCH. This scheme works even the feed point is not exactly at the middle. If you know the offset to the mid-point, you can always correct the probe location by giving it an offset when you are prompted for the probe location. Just some small trick. Regards.

Re: Help: Coaxial feed in hfss

hi jian..
i want to simulate waveguide to coax transistion.
could u pls tell me how to model coax that gets into waveguide..
i have done coax for helical antenna..but im not proper result when i model coax ..
thankyouin advance..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back