Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help: Circuit to alternately activate two relays on repeated input for pneumatic sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuport

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have built a pneumatic system that is working well with a wired two button remote with momentary switches to control the piston in and out. I have found a wireless drop-in replacement for my wired switches that wirelessly controls two relays. I have a programmable timer that outputs 5V DC. I would like to interface the timer to the wireless TX to alternately activate the two TX switches. I need a circuit that is triggered by a repeating 5V signal to alternately trigger two relays.

Here is the progress to date.

Current configuration
1. Pressing SW1 momentarily energizes Sol1 with 120Vac releasing air to drive piston right.
2. Pressing SW2 momentarily energizes Sol1 with 120Vac releasing air to drive piston left.

1.png

Desired configuration
1. The timer generates a 5.0V DC signal for 0.5 sec in condition one and 0.3 sec in condition two
2. I would like the 5.0V signal to trigger a wireless TX to the RX to alternately control Sol1 or Sol2
3. I would like to manually control the system by pressing SW1 to inject a 5.0V DC signal and trigger the transmission.
4. The range of the wireless link should be reliable to at least 150 feet line-of-sight.

2.png

Proposed Solution
I found a two relay off-the-shelf remote control shown below. It is a drop-in wireless replacement for my wired two switch configuration. However, I still need an interface between the timer and the wireless TX that alternately “presses” buttons A and B with each 5V out of the timer auxiliary jack.

3.png

I thought I could do something like shown below. TX Relay A is connected in parallel to TX Switch A and TX Relay B is connected in parallel to TX Switch B. The Timer 5v output is fed to the latching relay coil and common so that each time the 5v signal is sent, the latching relay alternately energizes Relay A or Relay B. However, in researching the latching relay, it appears that I would either need to reverse the current through the relay or use a two coil version and alternately activate the coils.

4.png

Any suggestions on how I can make this work or some other way to use a repeating 5V signal to alternately trigger two relays?
Thanks!

Have u selected the wireless tx and rx? which technology is used?. What is the problem in interfacing?

This is the wireless solution I am planning to use. **broken link removed**

The problem in the interface is I need a circuit design that will respond to each 5v pulse from the timer to activate first one relay then another. I need it to activate the first relay the first time the 5v pulse is sent, the second relay the second time it is sent, then the first one, and cotinue to alternately activate the relays each time a pulse is sent. Each pulse will cause the piston to move in or out in alternating fashion. Perhaps there is an off the shelf logic chip that can be used in a circuit to flip the state each time a pulse is sent.

I just ordered an industrial sequencing relay that I will add to my pneumatic control cabinet. I believe I can then operate the system with a single RC relay and therefore my interface will not need to alternate TX switches. A simple relay interface can just repeatedly close the contacts on a single switch. When the parts come in I'll give it a try and then report back. Thanks for the suggestions.

The parts came in and I wired up the receiver end and it works great. After I found the sequencing relay I changed my layout so that the alternating from one solenoid to the other was all controlled at the receiver end. Now it is a simple matter of triggering the remote with a reed relay. However, the timer I am using runs on 3v (2 AAA batteries) and the remote TX runs on 12v (1 A23 cell). I have room to mount the transmitter in the timer housing. Is there a very compact way to step up the 3v to 12v?

View attachment Remote box.jpgIMG_4324.JPGIMG_4326.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back