Not open for further replies.

red2cwm

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mosfet relay schematic

I need some help from you guys with a project I'm working on where I want to modify the factory setup of a circuit board and motor that only turns in one direction.

Currently the board sends 2 volts to the motor, which pulls .49 Amps at 2 volts. The board is powered by 9 volts.

I would like to use the board to trigger a transistor/mosfet/relay, which will send 6 volts to the motor. The transistor/mosfet/relay will have to be triggered by only 2 volts. I can use resistors to decrease the 9 volts as necessary (that's no problem). The motor will pull .65 Amps at 6 volts so the transistor/mosfet/relay will have to be able to handle nearly 4 watts.

I know how to set the circuit up. And I know how to calculate which resistor to use to get the 9v to 6v. But I need help picking out a transistor/mosfet/relay that can operate under such stressful conditions (4 watts) but be triggered by such a low voltage (2v).

Thanks,
Chris

choosing a transistor

You will have to put a transistor inverter after the 2 V to get the swing necessary to drive the MOSFET gate. Then you will have to use the opposite 2 V, 0 V signal to turn the motor on/off.

choosing mosfet transistor

red2cwm said:
And I know how to calculate which resistor to use to get the 9v to 6v.

R = 3 / I

Use transistors if your project requiere fast switching, as PWM.

Bipolars transistors requiere to calculate base resistor according to load current, whereas mosfets are 'simply voltage triggered' : Bipolars are current controled, whereas mosfets are voltage controled.

In summary, Mosfets surely requiere less adaptations than relays ( be careful : inductive load ) and bipolars transistors. Just verify if threshold voltage is en accordance with your signal.

Regards,

Manu

choosing transistor

Hi,

You can also use Optocupler. It will work at 2V if you have the right resistor at the diode side, and drive the motor.

factors to consider when choosing a transistor

gidimiz said:
Hi,

You can also use Optocupler. It will work at 2V if you have the right resistor at the diode side, and drive the motor.

Yes, great idea, you can use a optocoupler to drive your MosFet, as that schematic :

See You...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…