Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help..calculate the probability of finding 3 wrong bits, in a byte, if the BER is 0.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsh456

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please help me...I'm a little confused.:|

Bit Error Rate (BER) = (No. of Error bits)/(Total number of bits transferred) in this case BER = 0.5

So number of error bits = 4 for a byte of data transferred..

Now, total number of error bits in a Byte will be 4. Hence probability of an error bit occurring in a byte of data = 4/8 = 1/2

Now, the probability of finding 3 error bits with probability of 1/2 = (1/2) * (1/8) * (3) = 3/16..

Hence probability of finding 3 wrong bits in a byte of data will be 3/16...

This is my calculation. Please update this thread if you get an answer different from this...

Hope to be helpful..

I think this formula applies to your problem: P = nCr x p^r x q^(n-r)
where:
n=no. of trial (8)
r=successful tries (3)
C=operation of 'combination'
p=probability of success (.5)
q=probabilty of failure (1-p=1-.5=.5)
P=probability

Therefore the probability of finding 3 errors in a transmission of byte with BER of .5 is P=0.21875=21.875%

Reactions: cks3976

cks3976

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The bit error rate or bit error ratio (BER) is the number of bit errors divided by the total number of transferred bits during a studied time interval. BER is a unitless performance measure, often expressed as a percentage.
The studied time interval is not specified in the problem. So I believe that one byte time interval is not necessary the studied time interval. We just have that BER=0.5.
When a tudied time interval tends to infinity, we have that BER=p=0.5, where p is bit error probability.
We will assume that p=0.5 in this problem.
The probability of finding 3 wrong bits in a byte is the probability of appearing 3 error bits and 5 true bits in a byte simultanuasly multiplied by the number of various ways in which 3 bit out of 8 may be in error.
So:
p=0.5 - error bit probability
(1-p) - true bit probability
p*p*p*(1-p)*(1-p)*(1-p)*(1-p)*(1-p) - the probability of appearing 3 error bits and 5 true bits in a byte simultanuasly
n!/(j!(n-j)!) - is the number of various ways in which j bit out of n may be in error.
And we have:
the probability of finding 3 wrong bits in a byte is:
P=p*p*p*(1-p)*(1-p)*(1-p)*(1-p)*(1-p)*n!/(j!(n-j)!)]=[0.5^8]*[8!/3!/5!]=0.00390625*40320/6/120=0.21875

And the formula given by Onigece is right :)

Last edited:
Reactions: cks3976

cks3976

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
rsh456,

Are you telling about having exactly 3 wrong bits or to having at least 3 wrong bits?
The above formula holds for exactly.

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.