Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help about RS232 to ethernet convrter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanren

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,every one,i learn about some chips can convert rs232 to ethernet interface.if have such a device,i can use it to connect my rs232 equipment to internet though LAN.the device include a tip/ip stack.
does any know about this?thanks for any infomation.
REGARDS!
shanren

**broken link removed**

You can also use an old PC to do that translation. Try ReMapPro from Lab-NC Ltd.(Labtam Network Computers)

http://www.labtam-inc.com

A demo is also available.

Description:
------------
"The main utility, Comport, included in the ReMapPro package makes serial (RS232) data from your PC available on TCP/IP-based networks and makes TCP/IP data available on serial ports of your PC. This makes it possible for any other computer on the same network to send and receive serial data through a remote serial port on the PC where Comport is running. You can connect to the remote serial port by connecting to a TCP/IP port. Comport can also be used to pass serial data across a corporate intranet or over the Internet. Comport allows multiple sessions to run simultaneously but each with different serial port.

Comport supports full two-way I/O for full control of serial instruments (i.e. any instrument that you can plug into the serial port (RS232, RS422 or RS485) of your PC). Typical devices include most serial devices like gages, scales and balances, sensors, micrometers, calipers, bar code scanners, densitometers, laboratory instruments, electronic balance or electronic measuring instrument, RF equipment, communication systems, etc..."

51 tcp

try this .. i would prefer ethernut but to have complete info:
**broken link removed**

regards

cancel

Try these ones, too:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
HD1300 from www.sena.com (they have the small factor form variant of this board, too)
**broken link removed**

Does somebody knows a ( serial to ethernet ) converter board with TCP/IP broadcasting capabilities ..
I already tried UDP over ethernet to do broadcasting,but using this approach kill my LAN ( too much traffic)........:)?

Any help will be welcome....:)

Serial to Ethernet converter

One ready to build solution is from MAXIM. This is called the TINI board. The development system is about $100. It runs JAVA and has an embedded multitasking o.s.

**broken link removed**

Getting back to the udp stuff. Broadcasted RS232 efficiency will only increase if you implement some sort of buffering mechanism. Instead of sending single character data you can implement some sort of watchdog method for generating packets. An extremely simplified algorithm may be as follows.

1. make sure no character waits in the buffer more than xx miliseconds.
2. if the wait is less than xx miliseconds buffer as much character as possible upto yy characters.
3. Some special characters may trigger buffer sending such as EOT, CR,LF etc depending on protocol and/or user configuration

Zoovy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back