Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help--about Ron of POWERMOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

firry

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, who can tell me how to simulate the Ron of Power MOS FET and get a typical value??? thanks

It depends on Vds of the PowerMOS, e.g Vds=0.2, Vgs=Vdd.

paulux said:
It depends on Vds of the PowerMOS, e.g Vds=0.2, Vgs=Vdd.

the FET operate as a resistor when it works in deep triode region with the condition Vds<<2(Vgs - Vth),but the range of the condition is very large.
when simulation, use Ron=Vds/Id, we can get a curve of Ron. but Ron is not a
constant value, how can i get a typical value?

This problem is very difficult .good .appaulse

what is the usage of your typical Rds? I think that different situation requires different perspective for interpreting "typical Rds".

paulux said:
what is the usage of your typical Rds? I think that different situation requires different perspective for interpreting "typical Rds".

There is a certain value,such as 300mΩ, of the POWER MOSFET's Ron in some chip datasheet. How can i give my POWER MOSFET a certian Ron value?

I think you have to check the measurement condition of the datasheet specified or check other comparable device specification/measurement conditions to do your measurement.

The question lies in how to simulate the Ron in spice .

paulux said:
I think you have to check the measurement condition of the datasheet specified or check other comparable device specification/measurement conditions to do your measurement.
hi,paulux
Thanks for replied.
The datesheet have not specified the measurement/specification conditions.
I want to choose the minimum value but it maybe has some problems.

i think the typical Ron is measured in the typical condition the MOS used, e.g vgs=5,vds is very small and the MOS can be regarded to work in deep linear region, then calculate the Ron just using Vgs and the other device parameter such as W/L , Kp etc.

generally, for powermos Ron, Vds=0.1V / 0.2V; Vgs is usually given by the process. Say, for a 5V Vgs process, use Vgs=5V; for a 25v Vgs process, use Vgs=25v.
According to my experience :)

Simulate a resistor and power mos between vdd and gnd. Power mos need be post file from layout. Estimate Ron from data of foundry, and adding resistor of metal and via.

Status
Not open for further replies.