Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help 240V AC to 12V DC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFitz

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all
I have converted a 16mm projector to 12v battery power drawing about 5 to 7AH. I have enough power but it has to run for approx 8 hours a day for a week in an art gallery. To get the AH i need is going to cost a lot of $.

So what about AC to DC Adaptor – 240V AC to 12V DC, are they as simple as they sound?

I don't know much about these and can't find the answers I need.
The projector is part of a sculpture and has a lot of exposed wirring, the wires connect straight to the battery.

If I was to use a male cigarette socket with exposed wires at one end and connected the socket to the AC/DC adaptor and the wires to the projector, would this work? Would I get electricuted? The adaptor converts 240v to 12V right? So the wires should only have 12v running through them? to many ?'s ?

All help and suggestions very much appreciated
Jason

**broken link removed**

or you can look for 12 volts power supply over the internet...

Thanks for the replies
I'm a bit of a noob, so I was hoping to get away with buying something already built.

You can buy a pulse power supply, for example a device like the pictured one 12v/5A costs about $7-$8 in ebay or you can search in a local store, there are also some 1A or 3A models available

12v_5A_psu.JPG

Alex

In local electronic stores you can get a DC 12V eliminator, usually used for charging car battery or for similar applications.

You can buy a pulse power supply, for example a device like the pictured one 12v/5A costs about $7-$8 in ebay or you can search in a local store, there are also some 1A or 3A models available

View attachment 52995

Alex

yeah. you can buy this kind of power supplies (SMPS switch mode power supply,)

Hi all
I have converted a 16mm projector to 12v battery power drawing about 5 to 7AH. I have enough power but it has to run for approx 8 hours a day for a week in an art gallery. To get the AH i need is going to cost a lot of $.

So what about AC to DC Adaptor – 240V AC to 12V DC, are they as simple as they sound?

I don't know much about these and can't find the answers I need.
The projector is part of a sculpture and has a lot of exposed wirring, the wires connect straight to the battery.

If I was to use a male cigarette socket with exposed wires at one end and connected the socket to the AC/DC adaptor and the wires to the projector, would this work? Would I get electricuted? The adaptor converts 240v to 12V right? So the wires should only have 12v running through them? to many ?'s ?

All help and suggestions very much appreciated
Jason

The easiest, cheapest, and verisatile is the PC power supply. It can deliver more than 5 amps @12 volts. Cheers

oh yes!!
i agree with sir pranam, i used to do it before, you will also have 5v and 3.3 volts i think...

well, if you realy want to power your projector,you must know the maximum current your projector consumes,if possible look for AC-DC adaptor that can deliver up to 5AMPS @12v.

The easiest, cheapest, and verisatile is the PC power supply. It can deliver more than 5 amps @12 volts. Cheers

I assume you mean if it is already available as a spare part in home because the price to buy even the cheapest PC power supply would be much more than the $8 solution above (for a 12v/5A pulse power supply).
Or do you mean to get the 12v from his PC?

Alex

I assume you mean if it is already available as a spare part in home because the price to buy even the cheapest PC power supply would be much more than the $8 solution above (for a 12v/5A pulse power supply).
Or do you mean to get the 12v from his PC?

Alex
sir alex, would this affect the operation if sir jfitz will get his supply from his computer, example, he will use the spare supply to get the 12v needed?
i haven't tried it before..

There is no problem with that, it works perfectly if you have such a power supply,
it can provide both 5v and 12v,
just be careful to "leave" enough power for your computer because i assume you mean that the pc will be working too,
so you wouldn't want to use a heavy load powered from that power supply.

Alex

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.