Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Helix antenna: bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupin

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Sirs,

I have a question about Helix antenna:

how much is the frequency bandwidth (S11 < -15 dB at 1.2 GHz)? I mean, typical value...

Any book about helix antenna is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Lupin

Hi, Lupin:

I think it is related to the dimensions of your helix. There is an old book on it.

Hisrmatsu Nakono, Helical and Spiral Antennas --- A Numerical Approach, Research Studies Press.

Regards,

This antenna was described in the 1950 era Antenna book by Kraus who invented it. The bandwidth is usually 2:1.

Let's say that I need a narrow band e.g. 1% at 1.2 GHz...

Is it possible to get this bandwidth or do I have to work with the Helix large bandwidth putting a filter after this antenna?

I need to avoid undesired incoming signal..

Thanks in advance,

Lupin

You would be better off by putting a filter at the input of your receiver instead of using the antenna for filtering.

The antennas we build and use have a rough 10 % bandwidth, but the attenuation outside band is not very sharp.
Usually an antenna ( except patch and some aereonautical antennas ) have a quite wide bandwidth.
Also take care that as the banwidth decrease, the antenna is more sensibl to the surrounding environment, especially radomes and ground plane.

Mandi

A helix antenna normally has two modes. When it is not very long, it is narrow banded. When it is long enough, it suddenly becomes wide band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back