Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithun_K_Das

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Need a Heavy Duty Buck Converter with Negative Common.

Conditions and Ratings:

Input: 18 ~ 30V DC
Output: 12.5V / 10A Continuous.
Run time: 24hrs at 10A.
Cooling system: None / Air Cooling.
Input and Output Ground is common.
N-Channel MOSFET.

This was the conditions. I tried with Push-Pull type, Single Inductor Buck converter and also linear one. but no one was effective. All are getting heated and burnt out. Also tried with N-Channel FET with charge pump for gate drive. But it was not effective too. Fets get hot so quick.

One was effective and I got good efficiency up to 93% with N-Channel FET but it was not Ground common. Then What may be a good solution. What topology will be effective and good for this type of buck converter?

Note: P-Channel MOSFET is not available in my local market.

Last edited:

What do you mean by negative common? Show a schematic.

Okay, so it's just a simple step down converter with no isolation and only positive voltages? Then you probably just have poor component selection or thermal management. We'll need a specific design, including details on the enclosure, to help.

It may help if you divide the burden among several interleaved buck converters.

You can use N-devices at the high side, although this requires stepping up the bias voltage.

The 0.2 ohm resistor is unnecessary.

Your power requirement is about 125 watt , so i think you should go with "flyback topology" .

Status
Not open for further replies.