Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HDL Designer, Design Methology

Status
Not open for further replies.

mami_hacky

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hdl designer cvs

How you manage your source code? What are the names of your main directories? What kind of version management tool you use? What your main scripting languages?
HDL designer, provides a good environment for developing and managing big designs. But I wanted to know, if any one knows any better tool, or if any one even recommends using simple hand written scripts than tools such as HDS.
Thaks.

+hdl designer +subversion

There are other same kind of tools like
visualhdl/visualelite
ease/eale
former Openbook (merge by Mentor)
activehdl

They are good or bad from some specific point of view .
for ex. If u import HDL to generate Graphic representation .
They often can not identify fsm block ( visualhdl is the best , but still behind the Debussy's capability ) . The import block 's place & route connetions often get a mess. The fsm editor is too simple to cover
all kind of fsm we can write down . The ease/eale 3.0(the later version get troublesome) is the best on this capability . I feel the visualhdl is the most mature tool but it is still not good on some specific . So let's give a average scores , the winner i thought should be HDL Designer . It's more user friendly and cover most of the functions available in other tools.

hdl designer batch mode

mami_hacky said:
How you manage your source code? What are the names of your main directories? What kind of version management tool you use? What your main scripting languages?
HDL designer, provides a good environment for developing and managing big designs. But I wanted to know, if any one knows any better tool, or if any one even recommends using simple hand written scripts than tools such as HDS.
Thaks.

For HDL editor, good old Emacs is the best. Just find the right language mode and install it. I'm especially impressed by the verilog-mode. The AUTOs saved me a lot of trouble. Just image you have to do a top level and instantiate a module with 1000 ports. Without the AUTOs, it would really kill me.

For revision control, CVS is good enough to get started. It's free. If you want fancy bug tracking (managers love it), go with S/y/n/c/h/r/o/n/i/c/i/t/y. Their documentation sucks, but the tool is very good for projects with team members scattered all over the world.

rx300

Alternatively you can use emacs as a post-processor in batch mode .
That made you just write the comment AUTO in you favor editor and leave the final verilog processing from emacs's batch output .
For simplifying the instatiate a large ports task , the attached tcl scripts
may help you a lot .

Nobody said:
For simplifying the instatiate a large ports task , the attached tcl scripts
may help you a lot .

Thanks a lot for the scripts! They're well coded. Nobody, you're a smart dude.

rx300

emacs is difficult to learn.
I am learning it.
it is very wonderful editor.

about HDL editor, i recommend xemacs.
For a beginner , maybe it's difficult to use, but after u can control it, it's
save lot's of time for you. and in fact, u only need to be familiar with some
very frequency commands , such as:
/*AUTOWIRE*/
/*AUTORGE/
/*AS*/
Ctrl + c Ctrl + a

You need build a template file , this will help you

about hdl editor ,gvim is enough.

using JFE (jens file editor), customized to highlight HDL code. for block instantation is webpack quite usefull

mami_hacky said:
Thaks.
1. Directory:
source
target( inside, sim, syn, sta, apr, pdv )
tool( put tool link or design kit )
cad( setting environment and cad tool library)
2. Version management:
CVS
3. script language:
verilog, sh, make, csh, tcl,c,perl
4. Filename:
Begin with module name, then follow postfix string ( .v, ,.gv,.sv, and so on )

Black Jack said:
Other good Editors:

Prism Editor
Context

ABout editor, I think "vim" is the most convenient editor if you know script languages very well.

use cvs to control your source code development , subversion is better than cvs.
in windows system ultra-edit is good , in unix or linux vi is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back