Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HDL design family and devices...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mashhur

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello there,
Before asking a question i would to thank you guys.
I am really wondering to find out the difference (family, device type) when i have the devices.

How can I distinguish the families. An example, Spartan3, Automotive 9500XL, VeritexY(Y=4,5,6..). where is the difference between them?

Devices - XC3SN(N=50,200,400,1000) what does these numbers identify and how can i find out when i look at the board?

I appreciate your help.
Thanks again.

The families are easy, the first letters show the family

XCS spartan
XC2S spartan2
XC3S spartan3
XC2V virtex 2
XC5V virtex5

Altera chips are similar

EP1C cyclone
EP2C cylclone2
EP3C cyclone 3

EP2S stratix2
EP3S stratix3...

You get the idea.
The number after that has to do with the (internal logic) size of the device,
for example

XCS05 is a spartan with 5000 system gates
XCS10 is a spartan with 10000 system gates
XCS20 is a spartan with 20000 system gates
XCS30 is a spartan with 30000 system gates
XCS40 is a spartan with 40000 system gates
or
XC2S100 is a sparan2 with 100000 system gates
XC2S200 is a sparan2 with 200000 system gates

altera describes the logic elements in a similar way
for example EP1C4 is cyclone with 4000 logic emements

All these are described in the family data sheets where you can also find if a chip covers your needs.

Alex

Thanks Alex for providing such essential info.
I got some parts of your opinion, especially device types are clear for me now.
But could you please tell me that by what do the families differentiate each other?
Take care~~

I don't think there is an easy answer in that question except from the fact that each newer generation is faster and has more logic elements.
Apart from that the first generations (like spartan) didn't have digital clock management so each generation provides more functionality in other areas too.
The newer generations also support more input/output standards and have more internal ram, the core voltage gets lower and the power handling is better.
You should really read some data sheets from both altera and xilinx.

Alex

i see.. anyway thanks very much Alex.
by ur post i understand that the families can be differentiated by the hardware complexity, more functionality, much energy safe property and so on..
i got you and try to understand by looking datasheets out.
to be honest, i've never work on hardwares but for now got a task to make an radar interface card looks like pretty enough difficult assignment...
tk cr~~

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.