Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hardware decoder for bit stream of MPEG-4/H.264

Status
Not open for further replies.

eexuke

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
Currently most of video decoding solutions utilize software or general purpose microprocessor to do bit stream parsing. However, is there any system utilizing hardware decoder to deal with bit stream decoding?
Any related information is welcome.Many thanks in advance!

Check _http://www.ateme.com/products/h264.php

They offer H.264 encoding/decoding IP for TI DSP and also FPGA sources.

when we designing our H.264 chip,we get test data from some soft decoder/encoder,such as JM soft.

Following articles has some ideas for H.264 bit-stream parsing (for MacroBlock coeffitients coded with CAVLC or with CABAC, and Header parts where Exp-Golomb code is used).
General stream parsing hardware implemenation for upper level headers you could hardly find - usually processor use some hardware support and do parsing in SW.

And error handling is separate topic of interest.
In general, SW solution are used for handling of errors, but some HW support is desirable, depending on what is supported to increase error robustness.

good papers.
By the way ,cabac/icabc is not too difficult to implement in hardware.
BR

Aormon said:
good papers.
BR
hi, Aormon. Yes, it is algorithm intensive. but how do you speed up the cabac/icabac modules since the data processing are so sequential and there
are feedback loops, it extremely difficult to pipeling them, and the critical path
delay are large, how do you solve these?

I think a processor and some hardware will cooperate during parsing a bit stream. The processor controls the decoding process and hardware assures the decoding speed.

It is similiar between the H263 and the mpeg4,
the key problem is the ME/MC, there are many method to answer the project, cube, spade.... etc.
I select the squa.

hi,
currently four companies are providing hardware solutions as far as i know,they are broadcom,conexant,sigma design and ST micro. Any one of them can be used.
pimr

Isn't sigma design ripped off the Xvid code and claim it was them who wrote the source.

hi,
that's true as far as their software is concerned! i am talking about the hardware chip that they are providing it is capable of encoding/decoding mpeg4.Also their software version is no longer available.
pimr

H264 will be poping!
In general, we code it in the C model and after the simulation be OK, u may convert it onto the verilog. or u may get the IP the third parnter.

Thank you. i download the files

/David

Aormon said:
good papers.
BR

did you finish the cabac or invert cabac?

If you didn't , I think you will chang your opinion after you really research the algorithm of cabac!

In fact, there are many Soft IP core in the some commerce corporations
We may get them by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back