Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hard decision viterbi decoding through trellis update

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnchau123

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,
I have some problems in the traceback action of trellis diagram in viterbi decoding

Suppose path metrics be the sum of number of same bits between codeword and received bit

At trellis update stage,
Suppose in path 1, path metrics sum is 14. Set t = t+1, it becomes 17 (3 bits are the same)
Suppose in path 2, path metrics sum is 15. Set t = t+1, it shall be 15. However, at t=t+1, it joins with path 1 in trellis diagram, hence, metrics becomes 17 too.

Then my problem is, in the traceback of Viterbi algorithm, the traceback of 17 (right to back) shall be to 14 or 15?
I am not sure whether the traceback is according to which path contributes to the largest path metrics (i.e. if path 1 chosen) or just based on maximum likelihood (i.e. path 2 chosen).

Thanks!!

If metrics of the two entering paths be of equal value one path is chosen for elimination by using an arbitrary rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back