Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hall effect ic for current sensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

robismyname

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I found an ic that can sense the current of my battery. I want to take my 12V battery and interface it to a microcontroller via the attached hall effect sensor so that my microcontroller can tell me how much current my battery is providing to the load.

**broken link removed**

The ic has pin 1-2 as +IP and 3-4 as -IP. So would I take the positive lead of my battery and connect it to pins 1-2 and 3-4 go to ground?

The data sheet says "the Hall IC converts into a proportional voltage" So does that mean that if my current is 5 amps Vout will be 5 Volts?

Is there possibly a simpler solution to measure current from my battery with a micro?

Pin 1&2 go to your battery pin 3&4 go to your load (not directly to ground but the current go's first to the load connected)
This sensor will give (in case of the 5 A type) 185 mV x the amount of ampere's.
0 Ampere means You will have half the powersupply voltage on your output (2,5 Volt out with 5 volt Vcc)
5 Ampere will make this voltage go up to 3,425 Volt.
(or with "negative" amperes it would go the same amount down)

To be honest, i seriously doubt if You could find a more easy method.

Hi, i am using a similar IC ACS172 but i am applying 230V ac to it. and the output is an AC wave. is there a ways to make the AC waveform in to a DC waveform ?? As my ADC can only take in DC value.

Hi, i am using a similar IC ACS172 but i am applying 230V ac to it. and the output is an AC wave. is there a ways to make the AC waveform in to a DC waveform ?? As my ADC can only take in DC value.

Don't worry!
the output of the acs712 is biased to VCC/2 it means that at zero current its output is 2.5v and with +30A its 4.5v and with -30A its 0.5v
So you can read its output directly and you just need to subtract 512 from the ADC result register .
you can apply any function like ABS or RMS on the current in your code.
(assuming 5V supply and 5V ADC ref voltage)

Status
Not open for further replies.