Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

H bridge transistors heat up

Status
Not open for further replies.

I14R10

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I built H-bridge with MJE2955 and MJE3055 using this schematics **broken link removed**. It works, kind of. The motor spins one way and other way as it should be. The problem is that the voltage across the motor is only 1V. This H bridge is powered from 9V supply. And along with that problem, the transistors really heat up. When I measure the voltage across the power supply, it's also 1V, so I suspect there is a short circuit. But I can't find it after few hours of experimenting. I'm almost ready to give up and go with relays. Is there a mistake in that schematics?

Is the 9V from a 9V transistor battery?
What is the current draw of the motor?
Does the motor work okay if you connect it directly to the power supply?
You may just be drawing more power than the source can supply.

The motor does work OK when I connect it directly to power supply. 9V is from ac dc adapter. I played around with the base resistor value and it seems that my resistor was wrong. I had to put 400 ohm resistor to the base of every transistor. Now it works. Sorry, I always spend 5 hours trying to make it work, and then when I write a thread asking about what's wrong, I always find a solution within 10 minutes of posting.

As a rule-of-thumb a BJT requires a base current of at least 1/10th of the collector current to be fully on (saturated).

The circuit is simply rubbish. With open switch, both transistors are turned on, shorting the power supply.

(Q3 + Q2) or (Q4 + Q1) might be a nicer combination, but not both switches pressed at the same time.

Or I could simply move the switch from first schematics so it's not toward the ground. Instead I could put it after R5 and R6. That way the inputs are always connected to the ground.

Hi,

Moving the switch would only change the NPNs always being on to the PNPs always being on. The second schematic is a better choice. As you are using a microcontroller, I understand you can program in a little dead time between forwards and reverse so the two inputs never coincide.

Status
Not open for further replies.