Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gyroscope Circuit Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmaguitar01

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have two Silicon Sensing CRS03 gyroscopic sensors, CRS03 (packaged) - Silicon Sensing
is the link to the product and technical documents.

I basically need to design a circuit that when one gyroscope tilts, lets say along the x axis (assuming the axis is going out of the computer), that it sends the signal to a linear actuator and moves the actuator out, and when it tilts the other direction, still along the x-axis, it will send another signal to the same linear actuator to move the actuator arm in.

Incase that was confusing, basically I want the actuator to move out when the gyro tilts left, and the actuator to move in when the gyro tilts right.
I know these gyro's can do that because the sales representative at Silicon Sensing assured me of it. But I'm not really sure how to design this circuit. I don't know much about actuators, gyros, or reversing polarity and what not. Basically I am capable of making the part to drop the input Voltage from 12V to 5V, as is the operating Voltage of these Gyros..

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!

I'd probably start by:
1) Identify your output signal... in your case, it's a voltage that is proportional to the angular rate of change (acceleration)

2) Identify your output device
what type of actuator, what kind of signals does it need, how do you connect to it, etc.

3) Identify what your input to output conversion needs to be.
angular rate of rotation to linear position,
angle relative to "level", to linear position,
etc.

These will lead you to the circuit required to transform the output voltage of the gyro into a signal that the actuator can utilize.

You might also need to correct for errors, there are 2 with gyro's, one is a random variation and the other is a constant drift, this is of course dependant on how accurate the system needs to be.
You might want to google for radio control gyro systems, I think I saw something a while back along your description, radio control gyro's for model helicopters do pretty much exactly what you describe, in fact if you want a solution to a problem rather than a project this might be an avenue to look at.
Note, gyro's can be a sensitive subject, esp when you mention devices like laser ring gyro's.

Thanks! That is almost exactly what I need, I'll have to do some research into them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back