Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Guidance on best suitable maintained framework probably open source for ESP8266

Status
Not open for further replies.

aruneshdutta

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am developing IOT based applications mostly using ESP-12E/F mostly for domains like smart agriculture, smart garage etc, I had experimented initially and had been using Google IOT. Wanted suggestion that is not dependent on any cloud like currently and will incur charges as well after certain data limit is crossed, as many IOT applications run without internet. Like researched and found tasmota, mosquitto. Currently installed mosquitto on LAN for purpose and using MQTT. Do suggest which are best open source framework for long term usage and that which provide reliable maintained framework I can use with my esp based projects, as was also interested to know on TASMOTA framework which can be easily flashed on ESP device also saving resources like a separate device for MQTT sometimes raspberry PI running on LAN

I use ESP-12E/F and ESP32 devices in networks and I would recommend MQTT as a standard to adhere to. I use Raspberry Pi as the broker with Mosquitto software. I did experiment with using an ESP8266 as a broker but memory capacity limits you to no more than four or five clients, I intended to re-write the broker to run on an ESP32 but never had time to finish it. RPi's are cheap and the full Linux OS to run apps and handle data storage is worth the extra expense. The bonus is the RPi can not only handle local MQTT over WiFi but it can also be a bridge to the internet if you need it later.

Brian.

I send the data from my esp8266's directly to the internet if needed (to thingspeak cloud) and also to my local qnap NAS hosting a postgres database. I'm removing the thingspeak calls progressevely to postgres so I don't rely on cloud services anymore. works really nice. each 8266 holds 1 to 5 sensors or actuator in the house. running fans, hvac, burner, or measuring temperatures or humidity.
enough for a modern house without polluting the internet and other's expensive servers.
and I use simple arduino sketches to run all this. with OverTheAir updates of course.

I use ESP-12E/F and ESP32 devices in networks and I would recommend MQTT as a standard to adhere to. I use Raspberry Pi as the broker with Mosquitto software. I did experiment with using an ESP8266 as a broker but memory capacity limits you to no more than four or five clients, I intended to re-write the broker to run on an ESP32 but never had time to finish it. RPi's are cheap and the full Linux OS to run apps and handle data storage is worth the extra expense. The bonus is the RPi can not only handle local MQTT over WiFi but it can also be a bridge to the internet if you need it later.

Brian.
Thanks for the reply, currently as well I am using pi with mosquitto but wanted to know for small to medium setup as tasmota firmware mentions it has easy to handle interface , so configuring the sensors and other required hardware only for that esp device connected physically like showing temperature etc using sensors connected to gpio pins, wanted to know as tasmota is quick and directly be flashed how stable the framework is for long term use any other similar do suggest

I send the data from my esp8266's directly to the internet if needed (to thingspeak cloud) and also to my local qnap NAS hosting a postgres database. I'm removing the thingspeak calls progressevely to postgres so I don't rely on cloud services anymore. works really nice. each 8266 holds 1 to 5 sensors or actuator in the house. running fans, hvac, burner, or measuring temperatures or humidity.
enough for a modern house without polluting the internet and other's expensive servers.
and I use simple arduino sketches to run all this. with OverTheAir updates of course.
Thanks for the reply, currently as well in one of setup I'm using Google Cloud IOT under free data limits but wanted to know for small to medium setup and where internet transmission not needed and without pi as mosquitto host , wanted views as tasmota firmware mentions it has easy to handle interface , so configuring the sensors and other required hardware only for that esp device connected physically like showing temperature etc using sensors connected to gpio pins, wanted to know as tasmota is quick and directly be flashed how stable the framework is for long term use any other similar do suggest

Consider that the WiFi interface on ESP12 devices cannot connect to the internet directly so even using Google Cloud means your data is passing through a router or access point at some stage. Tasmota is no different, it still needs an external interface to reach anything outside its own WiFi range.

To keep everything under local control with no outside help you probably need to set up fixed IP addresses on each device and run them as both servers and clients, they have to be able to log in to each other and not use DHCP.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.