Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GSM - SIM card emulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rex_llama

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am currently working on a design that utilizes a GSM module. There are pretty severe size constraints on this design and we would like to make everything as small as possible. The SIM card holder takes up a lot of space. My question is:

Can a SIM card be easily emulated using an EEPROM or something, and still be functional for GSM use? What we would do is the user would be able to enter the GSM carrier information (subscriber info, country info, etc.) during installation and we would write this information to the EEPROM for the GSM module to use.

hi
what i know the sim card is storing the serial number inside it this serial number will be the ID for you hand set and other process done the hand set it self i hope im right.

Well, I think I answered my own question.

I've spoke to some GSM chipset manufacturers and they indicated that it is very possible to store the SIM card contents in an EEPROM or some other non-volatile memory, thus removing the need for the SIM altogether.

Unfortunately, it appears, at least in North America, that the GSM handset approvals (specifically PTCRB) will not approve a design that does not have a SIM. The reason is purely political, and the wireless carriers simply like the idea of SIM cards and don't want to deviate from that.

I was under the impression that it was the customers that love the freedom gained from SIM cards and the law is in place to protect them. The networks would love to ditch the SIM card, further controlling the handsets usability with other service providers.

Status
Not open for further replies.