Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Groups properties in Orcad CIS for BOM generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kudjung

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I'm just wonder anyone here has done similar thing that what I'm trying to do.
This is regarding group and variant feature in a newer Orcad version.
When you've created groups, you can just use mouse to select which components will belong to which groups which seem like a very good functions. Instead of just using this for generating the variants bom, is there anyone successfully use it for other purpose?
I'm thinking whether we can use it to groups part together when doing bom generation for example, power section, CPU section, etc. Also, this group properties could be useful also for doing PCB placement.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Kudjung

For PCB Placement you can assign a 'ROOM' to set of components performing specific functions like power supply etc.

The ROOM property, attached to a reference designator (component) or function designator, indicates that the function is to be assigned to a component containing other functions in the same room. The value is a string. For information on this property mapping to Allegro PCB Router, see the Routing the Design user guide in the your documentation set.

I'm thinking whether we can use it to groups part together when doing bom generation for example, power section, CPU section, etc. Also, this group properties could be useful also for doing PCB placement.
Not very good ideas imho.
For group bom generation it is better to use hierarchy at schematic level.
For placement we have rooms.
Any grouping and properties are easy done when design is splitted into bhierarchical blocks, may be with occurences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back