Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Grounding my workspace

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobAinscough

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've purchased a large Rubber ESD anti-static Mat and I've heard conflicting suggestions on where I should attach the ground wire.

I don't currently have a power strip with a ground lug (just a grounded green LED), but I've seen a "few" (not many) for sale but most seem to come with some line conditioning which I doubt I need for the components I'm connecting as they have their own filters/conditioners built in. I've read that I should NOT use a power strip for ground, not sure I understand why since I would expect that to be the best possible ground (house built circa 2005)?

So my questions:

1. Where to ground my Mat?
2. Do I really "need" a line conditioner?
3. What does a power strips Grounded LED (green) indicate?

Cheers, Rob.

A 1Mohm series resistor to the house ground
(not neutral) should suffice to keep the mat
discharged.

Power strips, you may not know whether
somebody before you broke off the ground
prong at the plug end for convenience.

If you are having a three pin power connector (socket end), then the large or middle connector is ground. But you need to ensure that it is physically connected to the earth. To check, connect an electrician lamp between the power line and the ground and you will see the lamp glow at full brightness. Testing with a neon tester is unreliable. In most countries, it is not legal to connect the neutral to the ground wire at the consumer end. They are usually connected close to the distribution transformer but the ground is always locally connected.

I too do not understand why the power strip ground is not usable. If the other end is connected to a reliable earth point, the power strip ground is a good ground.

Conducting rubber pads can be connected to the ground directly or via a high value resistor. A line conditioner removes high voltage short transients and is always welcome.

Most likely the green LED shows that the power is present (it is connected between the line and neutral) and does not indicate the status of the ground pin.

My personal suggestion: test test and test. Do not assume anything when it comes to your safety or the safety of your work!

Hi,
. To check, connect an electrician lamp between the power line and the ground and you will see the lamp glow at full brightness. Testing with a neon tester is unreliable. In most countries, it is not legal to connect the neutral to the ground wire at the consumer end.
An installed RCD will trip.

Whether the use of the power strip ground is reliable or not depends on the installation.
In my house I can rely on it. I'd use it.

In either case the 1M resistor should prevent from electrical shock ..

Klaus

Thanks for the responses.

I checked my home outlets and fuse box in the garage and they are grounded correctly and all putting out about 115-117v.

I just noticed my Waveform generator (Siglent SDG1032X) has a ground lug (Earth Terminal) ... since I verified my outlets are grounded correctly and the Siglent is using that outlet would it be a safe place to ground? The Siglent manual indicates:

"The instrument is grounded through the protective ground conductor of the power line. To avoid electric shock, the ground conductor must be connected to the earth ground. Make sure the instrument is grounded correctly before connecting its input or output terminals."

Cheers, Rob.

I just noticed my Waveform generator (Siglent SDG1032X) has a ground lug (Earth Terminal)

That is just an extra in case your instrument is not properly grounded.

Proper grounding of instruments is an essential safety feature but these days most consumer electrical items use care so that the equipment does not harm the user even in case the ground is defective.

Thanks for the response, I managed to find a nice power strip (rack mount) that includes a ground lug. Agree on safety and grounding, hence my questions and hopefully solution.

Cheers, Rob.

That is just an extra in case your instrument is not properly grounded.

Proper grounding of instruments is an essential safety feature but these days most consumer electrical items use care so that the equipment does not harm the user even in case the ground is defective.
Agreed, first priority is safety of the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.